Laws of collecting and keeping native fish in nj?

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
Ive never seen one in person just in videos and pictures. I didn't like bowfishing at first but then I got some nice lights and a generator and started going at night. I bass fish all day then bowfish at night. We don't have snakeheads here in mn

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
There are size limits for Bass statewide. There are also seasons statewide for Bass and Snapping turtles. They are not without regulation.

It's also unclear from your original post what fish specifically you were trying to catch at the point you had the run-in with the game officer.

The reality is, there are pretty strict laws in NJ about captive game, and it's not entirely clear if that includes fish as well as mammals and birds. In many states, it's not legal to transport live fish with intent other than to consume them. The rises from the concern that they'll be transported, one way or another, to another watershed.

When it comes to wildlife law, unfortunately it's often up to you to know the law for sure, and most of the time the full laws are not easily accessible, wrapped up in a tidy pdf. waiting to be read. If you're sure you're in the clear, then stand your ground. If he arrests you for breaking a law that doesn't exist, it's on his head.

In any case, sorry these guys are givin' you hell. The DNR officers here in Illinois seem to be stand-up people.

Josh H

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
There are size limits for Bass statewide. There are also seasons statewide for Bass and Snapping turtles. They are not without regulation.

It's also unclear from your original post what fish specifically you were trying to catch at the point you had the run-in with the game officer.

The reality is, there are pretty strict laws in NJ about captive game, and it's not entirely clear if that includes fish as well as mammals and birds. In many states, it's not legal to transport live fish with intent other than to consume them. The rises from the concern that they'll be transported, one way or another, to another watershed.

When it comes to wildlife law, unfortunately it's often up to you to know the law for sure, and most of the time the full laws are not easily accessible, wrapped up in a tidy pdf. waiting to be read. If you're sure you're in the clear, then stand your ground. If he arrests you for breaking a law that doesn't exist, it's on his head.

In any case, sorry these guys are givin' you hell. The DNR officers here in Illinois seem to be stand-up people.

Josh H
The bass I caught was of legal size. Well over 16inches believe it or not. Also for snapping turtles. I looked many times in the legal sites saying there is no size limit, and only limit I THINK IS 3 turtles per day and 3 in total( I think). But I'm pretty darn sure there is no size limit and is open year round.

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
Now lemme add on to this. Do you guys know of a state that has no problem with me keeping native fish(collecting them as well); or keeping turtles in general? I want to eventually move out. The fish I keep now if not taken with me will be given to a friend(he has a man made pond that has no water outlet and is too far from a lake for any fish to magically jump there).

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Also, as of 2004, the NJ laws concerning Snapping Turtles are:
"Snapping turtles are considering game fish, with a limit of 3 per day from January 1– April 30 and June 16 – December 31. There is no size minimum."
So there is a season.

Also, as per New Jersey wildlife regulations subchapter 4.4, only snapping turtles and eastern painted turtles can be kept without a permit. All other species (exotic and nongame) require a individual hobbyist permit, which cost $10.

Might be specifics on fish as well, though I haven't found any yet.

Josh H

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
Thanks guys! I'll check it out more in detail. Thank all that is good and sweet I'm moving out from nj soon enough e___e like a year or two. ... Btw. Started putting the snapper in a 125g(for a bit-- temporairly) god he's in my room. I feed him fish I catch and he scares the crud out of me when he eats it and I'm sleeping i'm like WHAT WHAT?!? He's super strong I love him though. I hope I can give him everything he needs and more. I think he maybe really old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store