Clams!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
They aren't filters.. they are filter feeders. They are a living organism and as such they work the same as any other living (animal not plant) thing in an aquarium, they eat and produce waste.
Exactly, they will add to the bio load, the only thing theyll do is maybe clean your substrate a little by consuming uneaten food or fish waste. Either way like any fish they give off ammonia! You can find em in creeks and rivers too

#1 S. Vettel

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Do you guys think I can find any In my huge pond? I have like every type of different species in it. Its naturally maintained so it might have clams! If they are in there where can I find them? I don't really want to go "scuba diving" to find them lol any reccomendations? I can get like a 15 foot net and I have a kayak to use on the water so any reccomendations?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Do you guys think I can find any In my huge pond? I have like every type of different species in it. Its naturally maintained so it might have clams! If they are in there where can I find them? I don't really want to go "scuba diving" to find them lol any reccomendations? I can get like a 15 foot net and I have a kayak to use on the water so any reccomendations?

Hmmm id think there would need to be prior clams that are established in the tank before youll see any. They dont magically appear in water. If u really want some goto a creek lift uo rocks and wood and put em in a cup... there ya go and their not that great! Kinda cool but somewhat overated!

#1 S. Vettel

carolinyens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
butner,nc
Clams bring raccoons. Where Im at there are clam shells littered at the lake from where they were dug up. Raccoons love em. You would def know they were in your pond by the tell tale sign of shells on the banks

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Freshwater clams and mussels require green water to thrive, since thats basically what they eat...

I had some before and when they die they STINK bad!

So in otherwords i wouldnt over do it with any one tank unless you plan on feeding them on purpose or have some major case of green water...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store