is this canister set up worth 200usd?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Looking for some pro advice. I'm in the market for a canister setup for a 180g tank. I was told the following set up will work with tanks up to 300g, but I'm not familiar with these products. The asking price is 200. Should I hold out for an fx5? Maybe go with an aquatop UV canister? I don't have an issue with nitrates or ammonia whatsoever. Between a fluval 110, emporer 400, and more pothos than I know what to do with, that is taken care of. I do have an issue with insufficient water flow. Even with power heads, I feel like the hobs are forced to be too far apart, and my gph is suffering as a result. Its a heavily scaped tank. **** gets caught in the plants/caves/between large rocks and pieces of driftwood constantly. The pothos destroys the ammonia/nitrates, but isnt doing anything to get rid of the physical waste. I really want to get rid of these hobs T.T

Anyway, the stuff:

Chemical filter AF-93
Heater module AF-92
ULtravilot serializer model QL-8
AF-95 mechanical filter
IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Bump, still need some help.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Not even sure what that is that you posted a pic of, but I wouldn't spend $200 on it.

Get a large canister. FX6 or a Eheim 2262. Sumps work too. If you build one yourself you can do it cheaper than one of those canisters.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I'd go with an fx you know what your getting , easy to replace parts if needs be and by the sounds of things you need a filter with enough power to pull the waste through your plants/scape , what turnover does that other setup have ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
"KISS" (keep it simple stupid)is a acronym to live by, that looks like it is far more complicated than it needs to be. I would just hold out for a large canister.... Those aqua top/ sunsun canisters are awesome IMO

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Older filters made by Pentair, worked well (mechanical, chemical, uv, and heater module). Have no idea what kind of pump is in the picture. As to their value - whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive used those lifegard filters before and they arent bad, very customizable and can be run on its side which was a big plus for me fitting it where a normal can wouldnt. That being said, heater module is probably helpful but not necessary, UV would likely need a new bulb which might be tough to find, chemical probably wont get much use, and the mech is decent. Like an ocean clear canister it just uses a pleated cartridge that is somewhat cleanable but a headache. Id also recommend installing pressure gauge ontop the mech filter to gauge when it needs cleaning.

All in all id pass if I were you. The system can be good if you need a really custom setup, but for what you need it sounds pointless. Also not a great value since its the "single" modules. For about 125 id say an eheim 2217 would be my recommendation for a solid reliable silent can. Full of media and disconnects and ACTUAL stated flow... eheim classics are the only cans ill spend my money on anymore

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I know I posted this in a couple threads already but I've got a pair of sunsun 302's arriving tomorrow. Im posting a review. Im kind of skeptical but who knows. $90 for a pair of 264gph canisters isn't bad. They wont have to perform too well to meet my low expectations.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I know I posted this in a couple threads already but I've got a pair of sunsun 302's arriving tomorrow. Im posting a review. Im kind of skeptical but who knows. $90 for a pair of 264gph canisters isn't bad. They wont have to perform too well to meet my low expectations.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
They are good, I have one myself and haven't had any issues yet! They are workhorses. You can't even hear them running. They keep the tank clean and are easy to maintain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store