Are pure Rays a thing of the past?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think the term mutt is a bit of a insult

As all pedigree dogs are mutts and it has taken years of selective breeding to get the types of dogs we call pure bloods

Pure blood rays will always be around but the prices are crashing bd was the last to be hit by the price crash but the prices for them is crashing now

For me pure bloods are getting a bit boring now once you have seen one nice bd p14 or Henlei you have seen them all give or take a few spots

Some of the hybrids coming out of Asia now make all pure bloods look a bit average
Asia have a good few years head start on breeding hybrids as they saw the potential before the rest of the world

The funny thing is most people who buy a hybrid are disappointed if they don't turn out black and white but it's a risk worth taking as even if they don't turn black and white if you then breed that hybrid with a pure blood black Ray you stand a much better chance of getting black and white pups

Pure blood Rays will always have a place and the cheaper price now will keep people interested

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Agreed. Love the endless possibilities of hybrids. They bring a refreshing variation.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
All pure here......

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Hmmm it's really interesting to see all these different people opinions on the subject! Keep them coming in everyone! Great conversation going on in here between everyone!

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I will always try to keep Pearls here if possible, but I am definitely a hybrid fan. Like previously stated, no 2 are the same.
The colors and patterns are endless.

All the really cool WC rays are going to Asia because they are willing to pay for them.

IMO, prices in the US are dropping because people are either unprepared or unwilling to keep pups for several months and to say ray breeding is good money is not true unless you have a large facility and alot of breeding goin on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Considering the resources it takes to breed rays its already a large investment and to make it any kind of profitable you need to be willing to flex on price to male space for the next litter. I hope prices keep dropping bit by bit due to all the breeding and hybrids out there.

My ideal set up would be a pair of Leos then multiple other females. That way I can keep one pure set but have hybrids with a little black blood in them to make them interesting. Its really hard to argue against the clean look of a classic Leo and I believe there will always be a market for them. Motoros and mm will continue to come in WC so there will always be that fresh blood of pure rays there as well

Sent from my QMV7B using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Scott

Speaking of going to asia I am having a difficult time finding a flower and what I am being told is there are massive contracts to China right now so if there is anything left over its the low end unhealthy stock that typically don't make it past transport.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
There are a lot of good points being raised by everyone!

I believe that the pure market and hybrid market will directly correlate as in when pures are high, hybrids will be low and when pures are low hybrids will be high.

Or the other option is everyone goes on the wild goose chase for the one off hybrids and pures fade into nothing and the market will be so diminished that they sky rocket in value when the demand comes for pure rays.

My only worry is that on this wild goose chase that even I intend on participating in that rays that aren't being imported anymore may disappear due to muddled blood lines. Like if people try to breed. Leo back out of a hybrid or try to breed a hystrix back out because then no matter what it will always have hybrid blood in it and it can never become a 100% pure ray.

This is certainly an interesting topic and I think that it will be interesting to see where the hobby goes in the future in regards to the demand for hybrids vs. pure rays. I will always be trying to breed some pure rays.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Scott

Speaking of going to asia I am having a difficult time finding a flower and what I am being told is there are massive contracts to China right now so if there is anything left over its the low end unhealthy stock that typically don't make it past transport.

Just be patient, flowers really to not come in until january february time frame. Go tiger, you can get them most of the time.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
People say pure bloods are more expensive than hybrids

That maybe the case now as a lot of the hybrids have a high amount of brown rays in the mix be it pearl or motoro give it a few years to give breeders to ween out the brown gene a bit and some will be stunting

Rays in Asia are priced on what a Ray looks like not what it is

We will just have to see what happens within the next few years but which ever way it goes it's no big deal to me I keep what I like not what others say I should be keeping

As for breeding to make money it's just not worth the hassle I can't be bothered with dividers of extra tanks
If they breed they breed if they get damage so be it I just leave them to get on with it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store