RTC X TSN is not doing well please help me save him

Benliving9560

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2014
Coeur d Alene Idaho
I have a rtc x TSN hybrid he is about 6" he has always been healthy until i was feeding him last night. he wouldn't eat or move much he was shaking like he was having a seizure or something so I did a big water change hoping to help but this morning he is still just sitting perfectly still and dose not look good at all he is still breathing but that's about it. Is there anything i should try or dose anyone have any idea what could have caused this???

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Have you tested your water ? Its a bit hard to say without doing that I could be a water problem

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Benliving9560

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2014
Coeur d Alene Idaho
I was hoping if it was something in the water a large water change would put it back in line the other fish in this tank seem to be doing ok there is a polypterus delhezi and an albino one and an African knife but something is still obviously wrong

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
What size is the tank? How often do you change the water? Have you recently fed them live food, or introduced a new occupant to the tank? The most important things to test for for a RTCxTSN would be nitrites, nitrates and ammonia, same as any other fish.

Benliving9560

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2014
Coeur d Alene Idaho
My water is temp is 79f
Nitrite was undetectable
PH was 7.5
Ammonia was 0.25

The catfish is still alive still not moving much but occasionally moving from place to place but he is not swimming right he still seems in critical condition 90% of the day he dose not move at all only his eyes and gills I will do more test on the water when I get home I bought a huge water test kit

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I hope you are using a liquid test-tube kit. Forget the strips.

Ammonia of 0.25 ppm is a significant stress factor even short-term. Long-term, it will kill. Ammonia should read solid "zero"on say API fresh water test kit like this: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Test-Kits/I/Api-Freshwater-Master-Kit.aspx

Crustaceans as the main diet will cause a vitamin B1 deficiency (look up thiaminase). The fish will become lethargic and waste away and die.

Test for nitrates too in addition to nitrites and ammonia.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I hope you are using a liquid test-tube kit. Forget the strips.

Ammonia of 0.25 ppm is a significant stress factor even short-term. Long-term, it will kill. Ammonia should read solid "zero"on say API fresh water test kit like this: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Test-Kits/I/Api-Freshwater-Master-Kit.aspx

Crustaceans as the main diet will cause a vitamin B1 deficiency (look up thiaminase). The fish will become lethargic and waste away and die.

Test for nitrates too in addition to nitrites and ammonia.
x2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store