50,000 + 15,000 Gallons Mega Tanks Videos Thread

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
TLkmDN;1151927; said:
LOL wow they look so tiny compared to now! you've have them for over a decade!!! thats just crazy man. respect for ure determination and passion bro. well done. i can totally see myself further into the hobby 10 years from now.
Lets see pics of your fish. How big is the Pima this week?

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
arapaimag;1239230;1239230 said:
Lets see pics of your fish. How big is the Pima this week?
no clue man...the last i heard he was over a foot long. im in the middle of exams so ill only be back home on the 16th of november. hopefully by then he shud be larger. i just cant wait to put him in the pond.

artemis1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
Absoulutely amazing!!! Earlier i was ticked off because my computer woudn't veiw the videos, but I'm on my friends's computer, and i can see them:DAwesome! Those gigas are eye boggling.

2 questions-

1. Your gigas can move pretty quick. At my public aquarium they had one around six feet and it was moving hardle two or so milesper hour. Any ideas as to why? Do think it's due to their different sizes or related to feeding time?

2. I saw some monoes and scants in those vids, and aren't those brakish? Do you add salt to your tank?

Thanks,
Art

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
artemis1;1246655; said:
Absoulutely amazing!!! Earlier i was ticked off because my computer woudn't veiw the videos, but I'm on my friends's computer, and i can see them:DAwesome! Those gigas are eye boggling.

2 questions-

1. Your gigas can move pretty quick. At my public aquarium they had one around six feet and it was moving hardle two or so milesper hour. Any ideas as to why? Do think it's due to their different sizes or related to feeding time?

2. I saw some monoes and scants in those vids, and aren't those brakish? Do you add salt to your tank?

Thanks,
Art

Hey, great to hear from you.

My guys are young and yes they are very fast swimming.They are very scared of my 2 Wallago leerii. So when they eat they come a little slow till they know what's on the menu. Then snap it up and immediatelty swim very fast to get out of the area.

The Wallago's will actually attack them to get at the food (That means right through their head or stomach) if they stick around.

My Pimas can sit around at times sort of just resting.

I know that some moderators on other sites suggest that the are ambush predators and that may be, but my observations of my fish have never actually shown that they catch any fish that way.

My Monos and Scats are in fresh water only. I started them in full marine and gradually got them to full fresh just by monthly water changes. I had them in a 225 with an Orbiticulate batfish that I had for 10 years in the tank. When he died, I stopped adding salt and slowly changed the tank to brackish and then fresh. When it was straight fresh I added them to the big tank.

I like your selection of fish you keep and actually have everyone of those species myself. All of which are kept in either my 52k or 15k.

artemis1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
Thanks for your answer. I never realized walago were so aggressive, i thought they were a more passive predator seeking out prey at the bottom. I will soon be acquiring a panax batfish too, along with a 72 gallon bowfront aquarium a frined of mine is giving up. It's interesting your keeping monoes in complete fresh, i've never seen anyone do that before. BTW, Thanks for the complements on the fish i keep. I love SA fish, which is why i started a site about them:D At one point i had many more, but they gradualy all died for old age or what not i didn't get many new ones...until know. I will soon be building a 500 gallon(i've already started a thread about it in the DIY section...) tank and hopefully a larger one around 2k(but not for a couple years). Maybe larger, but my budget is not as high as i want it to be, lol. Oh, my brother lives not to far away from niagra falls, and i realized you said that you live only 90 minutes away from there. I'd love to check out your tank(you said MFK members are welcome), but i'd love to a lot of things that i never manage to do.

Sorry for the long post too.

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
those are some impressive fish havent seen anything that big in anywhere else than aquariums

aquariumguy2300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
Massachusetts
It looks like the arapiama tank covers your entire basement. I see a window.Is this true?

AMG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2007
NY
Amazing videos of what has to be the pinnacle of home aquaria.

The Wallego leeri is one of the most awe inspiring fish I've ever seen in some one's personal collection. Absolute monster.

Thanks for sharing the videos.

chopper

Feeder Fish
Nov 15, 2007
overseas
With regards the huge catfish. I notice that 1 is a redtailed catfish from south america. I assume the other is Silurus Glanis AKa European Wels? Was it hard to acclimatise to the tropical temperatures in the tank?

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store