Geos breathing heavy or not

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Melafix can cause heavy breathing, especially at anything approaching full dose. That's not just my experience, a lot of people report or ask about heavy breathing with Melafix. For that reason, I typically use it at low doses and still find it effective for minor scuffs and scrapes, etc. Even at a 1/4 dose or thereabouts it does what I want it to do. If I need a higher dose (which is rare) I dose it part at a time to mitigate the heavy breathing issue. Even at lower doses you may see some mild, temporary increase in breathing. Whether that's your answer to your tank/fish I couldn't say, but it's a known effect of Melafix.

I'd be hesitant to judge pH color on a computer screen because screens vary, etc. I assume it's the tube far left and I'm thinking it's the low range test kit, in which case it appears to be in the high 7s or so on my screen. Past a certain point the low range test may not be accurate and it could be higher than it looks. In other words, in your shoes I might get water tested at a lfs as a double check. But, like I say, color can vary on different screens.

Stress coat can help heal minor scuffs also, something of a forgotten fact since Melafix came along. Normally I use one or the other to heal minor wounds, not both-- that's just me.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Melafix can cause heavy breathing, especially at anything approaching full dose. That's not just my experience, a lot of people report or ask about heavy breathing with Melafix. For that reason, I typically use it at low doses and still find it effective for minor scuffs and scrapes, etc. Even at a 1/4 dose or thereabouts it does what I want it to do. If I need a higher dose (which is rare) I dose it part at a time to mitigate the heavy breathing issue. Even at lower doses you may see some mild, temporary increase in breathing. Whether that's your answer to your tank/fish I couldn't say, but it's a known effect of Melafix.

I'd be hesitant to judge pH color on a computer screen because screens vary, etc. I assume it's the tube far left and I'm thinking it's the low range test kit, in which case it appears to be in the high 7s or so on my screen. Past a certain point the low range test may not be accurate and it could be higher than it looks. In other words, in your shoes I might get water tested at a lfs as a double check. But, like I say, color can vary on different screens.

Stress coat can help heal minor scuffs also, something of a forgotten fact since Melafix came along. Normally I use one or the other to heal minor wounds, not both-- that's just me.
ok, the regular ph is the blue for sure, but I dont remember what the high ph is for. that was more my concern, Ill look it up.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The high range pH test kit is for water that's in the high 7s or more. For instance, my pH runs about 7.8 so on the regular pH kit it always shows dark blue. That could be anything from 7.6 onward. I've always thought of the high range pH kit as a way to fine-tune it and get a more accurate reading if you have a high pH. If you have an independent water lab near you, they can give you the most precise info about your water. I actually don't think pH is as important with geos as hardness seems to be, but that's just my opinion.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
hey it means a lot to me that you guys gave a heck and checked out my issue. Ive kept fish all my life and Im 39 but never geos and was just a little concerned, Im taking in all the info and it really helps my research, thanks again. I dont have a hardness tester.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Second from left test tube is high pH test? Didn't register with me at first. At least on my screen, then, it appears your pH is in the high 7s, possibly touching 8. Low range is dark blue and high range not dark green. Like I said, though, that's just how it appears on my screen. In effect, it's like having two speedometers, one that goes only up to 80 mph and one that doesn't move the needle under 60. It can put you in a range where precise speed (or pH) is not as obvious.

Most geos I've kept are ok with ph in mid or upper 7s, moderate carbonate hardness (12-14 or thereabouts, with similar general hardness). But I've found that eartheater types vary somewhat. One of my tanks inadvertently went higher than normal, pH into the 8s (probably higher carbonate, though I didn't test it) and my guianacara were stressed while my red heads weren't bothered at all.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Great. Now I'm fighting ich. Perfect. I haven't had ich in pry 10 years or more. I'm hoping it didn't come from where I think it did but I'm not going to say publicly.

Anyways I caught it early and raised the temps. Any other tips or just the basic temps, air, salt, water changes and vac?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store