Finally going salt and I need Help

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My undulate trigger is a big baby and hides all day, but it seems to be the exception to the rule; it doesn't even boss around the damsels even though its four times their size.
I think I'd better stay out of this area,this talk of setting up salt tanks and nice triggers is starting to make me want to set one up again.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Ok everyone I decided to dig into my wallet and get a skimmer rated for 250-300 gallons for my 125gal, my only problem is wondering if I can hook up the plumbing to draw water from my tank because I won't have a sump, is this possible for external skimmers? The model is the reef octopus 8" Recirculating skimmer. Before I purchase this I would like to know if this is possible without a sump and if that's what external skimmers mean? This will sit directly next to the tank because I have about two feet next to the tank for it. Please help

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
X2 good call getting the largest skimmer you can put on that tank. that will make it so much easier on you in the long run. and be sure to tell the wife/girlfriend this also. like her buying shoes - baby dont but the cheap ones if your gonna be "walking a lot". hehehe

not sure on the external skimmers. it might setup and run like a canister filter or something? I have never used one. I am sure someone can chime in though.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Thanks buddy. I always been a freshwater guy on this sight but I finally needed to cross over to the salt side. I ended up spending $340 bucks and I brought two hang on back reef octupus skimmers 1000 BH models I figured since they are rated for 110 gal two would do the job with no problem with the 125 lbs of live rock. I told my self that I will convert my 180 gal for another FOWLR and my 65 gal would be a reef tank in the future, so I will be able to purchase a external pump later for the 180 gal. My 9 other tanks will stay freshwater Because my wife would put me out if I converted my bigger tanks(265,300). Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Nice. If and when you go sump you can always sell the 2 BH1000 also and get a sump model. Reef Octo is good stuff, it holds is value.

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Do you have any smaller tanks lying around the house? Guess we can start there. That's what I did. :D

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Ok my 125 gal fowlr. Sad far I have two HOB reef octo skimmers bh-2000 both rated for 150 gallons and I have two ac110's one with purigen and floss and the other wig rock rubble. I also have 120 lbs of rock and two 950gph power heads. The sand is agronite and so far the tank has been running for 8 wks. The only inhabitants are two clown fish and six reef blue chromis. I changed my mind on the predator tank because I want to go reef. Now I have a couple questions. Do I need this cheato algae to have a reef setup? Also what else would I need besides lighting? Also would T5 HO's be enough let's say 4 lamp or do I need another type of bulb? Please assist me however everything is going amazing and I plan on ordering more reef safe fish and then getting some begginer level coral. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store