Gar reaction

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Type of plants?
I have tall really large amazon swords in with mine and other plants. I would call it a medium to moderate planted tank.
no real change since this was taken accept maybe plants grew some.

My Gar is not shy @ all. he lets me touch him when I'm in the tank doing things. and when I vac the bottom he comes right over to check it out. Pretty interactive that way.
Ya they do just lay around sometimes. GARfield does it mostly when hunting.
when he's not hunting he will tool around the tank or just hover up top.
try to get some little live minnows or cheap silver colored fish that are on sale, the dollar kind. Your Gar will eat them so don't get anything you want to keep. And not guppies at 13 inches he won't even bother them as they are two small. look for something around 2 - 4 inches.
Mine likes to eat mollies so I breed them for him.

Good looking fish BTW.
Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Type of plants?
I have tall really large amazon swords in with mine and other plants. I would call it a medium to moderate planted tank.
no real change since this was taken accept maybe plants grew some.

My Gar is not shy @ all. he lets me touch him when I'm in the tank doing things. and when I vac the bottom he comes right over to check it out. Pretty interactive that way.
Ya they do just lay around sometimes. GARfield does it mostly when hunting.
when he's not hunting he will tool around the tank or just hover up top.
try to get some little live minnows or cheap silver colored fish that are on sale, the dollar kind. Your Gar will eat them so don't get anything you want to keep. And not guppies at 13 inches he won't even bother them as they are two small. look for something around 2 - 4 inches.
Mine likes to eat mollies so I breed them for him.

Good looking fish BTW.
Rich
The tanks looking good rich. Gars become more active in numbers as well. So adding 1-2 more will help

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Thanks Lepisosteus
Doesn't look that good right now fighting a alge bloom with about 80 90 % WC every 3rd day.
But it's clearing up nicely.

Ya get that 450 G home yet can't wait to see what ya put in it.

I think GARfield is about done with the growth spurt so in a month or two I'm going to try real hard to get him off of live food.

Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Lepisosteus
Doesn't look that good right now fighting a alge bloom with about 80 90 % WC every 3rd day.
But it's clearing up nicely.

Ya get that 450 G home yet can't wait to see what ya put in it.

I think GARfield is about done with the growth spurt so in a month or two I'm going to try real hard to get him off of live food.

Rich
The 450 is going to be a while. I'm actually looking for a slightly bigger tank. I don't like settling for a tank that I don't enjoy, just costs more money. So I'm looking for a 6x4x30"(roughly 450 gallons as well) tall tank as the dimensions are better for gars. If I can't find one I'll set up the 450, I still got the new 150 gallon in storage as well

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
For the algae use some excel, on the old 200 gallon that is all I ever used excel for was algae control. Costs to much to dose daily

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Like I said interested to see how you go with the new setup. I agree get the Tank you want. Spend once cry once. That's what I always say and do.

Thanks I'll pick some up to have on hand.
For the bloom I've been doing it the old fashioned way.
Limited light, WC, clean filters, cut back on feeding the ropes, bichir, comet. GARfield still has his snacks though since there are shiners in with them.

It's working tank is getting really clear.

I'm pretty sure it was the new Beamworks 72 inch LED I put on the tank.
never had a bloom in the 160 with the old lights and this one just went all at once.

I always had the lights on a timer on at 6 am off at 10 pm. the LEDs are to much for that long of a time frame.

Maybe that's why GARfield is so out going, I'm in and out of the tanks on a regular basis and he's just used to me being around a lot.
Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Like I said interested to see how you go with the new setup. I agree get the Tank you want. Spend once cry once. That's what I always say and do.

Thanks I'll pick some up to have on hand.
For the bloom I've been doing it the old fashioned way.
Limited light, WC, clean filters, cut back on feeding the ropes, bichir, comet. GARfield still has his snacks though since there are shiners in with them.

It's working tank is getting really clear.

I'm pretty sure it was the new Beamworks 72 inch LED I put on the tank.
never had a bloom in the 160 with the old lights and this one just went all at once.

I always had the lights on a timer on at 6 am off at 10 pm. the LEDs are to much for that long of a time frame.

Maybe that's why GARfield is so out going, I'm in and out of the tanks on a regular basis and he's just used to me being around a lot.
Rich
How do you like the beamswork LEDs? Do you feed your fish daily or skip a day in between feedings?

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa

I was feeding the ropes every night. They only eat with the blue moon LED on or total darkness.

I noticed they weren't eating much on the 2nd nights so I only feed every other day now. the comet and bichir eat ALL THE TIME.
GARfield eats when he wants.
I feed pellets for the shiners and Goldie the comet, tilapia for the ropes and sens bichir.

Love the beamsworks but it's to strong to leave on like I was.
Bought it off of the vendor on Ebay that was recomended in the beanswork thread over in the setup/filtration forum. Alot to read there if you are interested. I skipped the other vendor due to horrible feedback from this site.
It was cheap 99.00 USD shipped.
What we do now is shut the light off when not home/sleeping and such.
We also go from the blue 1st to bright white when going back on so we don't freak the fish.
Before I just turned one florescent on at a time so I didn't spook them.
Lights are on now about 6 hours and that's broken up time since like I said we are shutting them off when not in use.

Rich

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Justin David I forgot to ask
How much time do you spend around your Gar?

I mean just in the room and such?
Like I said in another post the whole family is around our tank it's in the living room by the front door. There is alot of traffic with 4 kids and 2 adults always around. All our tanks are in high traffic areas but one and all our fish are pretty interactive with us.

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store