Inheriting unstocked massive pond. What to stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
From what I read on arapaima's cold tolerance, they will shut down their body when the temperature hits 60F and will not eat anything. Sounds like a cold stress to me which can be deadly for them.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
You do realize this is a thread about stocking a pond and not an arapaima cold tolerance thread. We should probably get back to the topic and help out the person who started the thread. I'm not trying to be rude, it is just we are being way off topic.

so, have you figured out what you want? I'm so sorry we got off track.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You do realize this is a thread about stocking a pond and not an arapaima cold tolerance thread. We should probably get back to the topic and help out the person who started the thread. I'm not trying to be rude, it is just we are being way off topic.

so, have you figured out what you want? I'm so sorry we got off track.
You realized that its okay to questioning about stocking arapaima if this thread is about what fish should be stocked in the ponds. So no we are not off topic as you claims it to be.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
but this IS in the coldwater, temperate, and native fish area... so are arapaima really one of these??? I'm not saying that it was bad that you went to the arapaima topic, but that was starting to go to the tolerance argument, not the pond stocking argument. I'm sorry you do not agree about the off topic level, but I can state what I think on here. so ANYWAYS, lets start to suggest something else since arapaima will not work in coldwater.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
but this IS in the coldwater, temperate, and native fish area... so are arapaima really one of these??? I'm not saying that it was bad that you went to the arapaima topic, but that was starting to go to the tolerance argument, not the pond stocking argument. I'm sorry you do not agree about the off topic level, but I can state what I think on here. so ANYWAYS, lets start to suggest something else since arapaima will not work in coldwater.
Leo1234, you are the one that is going off topic at this moment. This is pond stocking argument and a poster suggested an arapaima for that pond. Someone have to questioning for the arapaima's cold tolerance since it is related to the pond stocking question.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Fun thoughts! Many animals maintain tolerances that have been useless for millennia. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that such an ancient fish had maintained its tolerance to cold temperatures.

I'm probably going to throw in the towel on "interesting" and stock an albino channel cat and food fish in case SHTF.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Fun thoughts! Many animals maintain tolerances that have been useless for millennia. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that such an ancient fish had maintained its tolerance to cold temperatures.

I'm probably going to throw in the towel on "interesting" and stock an albino channel cat and food fish in case SHTF.
Unfortunately it's already proven that arapaima do not have cold tolerance. Their body just shut down when the temperatures hit 60*F that they quit moving and feeding. Some of the arapaimas show the signs of cold stress.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Is there a way to find out what legally can and can't be kept in my pond?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Check with your nature conservationists for the area. In my experience (I've stocked a few 100,000+ gallon ponds) the most important thing is to get a constant regenerating food source. For me I had the ability to get thousands of minnows and they kept a constant food source for the fish. The one year I overstocked pike and bass and all fish in the pond ended up dying from lack of food

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Wow this thread has more drama than one of my grandmother's korean t.v shows...
and this argument should be over already.
Just stock your pond with the native fish around you so it wouldnt do any damage (like the other people stated above).
Some of the native korean trout and carp have faced damaged because of the introduction of the wrong species in certain area

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store