Single oscar in a 350 litre tank

Cichlidss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
Yaa that is fine in my opinion :)
You can expect your Oscar to get some where around 25 - 30cm so those tank dimensions seem fine for him
Just make sure there is enough open swimming space.. Especially when he reaches a good size so he can turn properly
Try do at least a weekly water change

but otherwise best of luck! Oscars have great personalities and make for great single wet pets :)

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
That size sounds like a standard 90 US gal tank. Will hold a single Oscar fine. Heavy filtration and lots of clean water will give you a very enjoyable package. Oscars grow fast and are a messy beast, the more clean water you provide, the better they will do.

Poddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Cornwall, England
Thank you both so much, i know this is an extra question , but do you think rocks like Lava rock would be a bad idea? I would glue them with silicone so they don't fall on the Oscar, but is there the risk of injury?

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Lava rock is coarse/sharp edged and Oscars have a knack of getting nicks and cuts from everything. I would suggest a rounder, smoother rock. Oscars arent much for getting under things, they more like to hunker down behind some structure for rest time. Some rock and driftwood on bottom suits them better

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Great tank size, look forward to pics when you get set-up!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Poddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Cornwall, England
I will post a thread on the lounge when it's all set up. I undrstand that a single oscar is pushing it , but are their any tankmates that would fill the bill concerning the oscar and tank size.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Maybe some pictus catfish? Big enough they shouldn't get eaten, but much more active and interesting than a pleco.

Poddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Cornwall, England
I heard that catfishes are very dangerous with oscars as their pectoral spines would tear up the oscars throat/internals if the oscar tried to eat the catfish... You think Pictus cats would be ok?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store