What apistos and how many?

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Hi I'd like to put some apistos in a 20 gallon tank. What apistos could I have and how many. I know the tank is 60cm( haven't got I yet ). Also the apistos I really like are cockatoo apisto, Blue Apistogramma

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is a site dedicated to apistos and other dwarf cichlids, aptly called apistogramma.com that will give you photos and detailed info about many available.
There are cool water Apistos from southern S America that don't need heaters, and can handle varied water chemistry as well as soft, warm water types, all to fit your particular conditions.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
There is a site dedicated to apistos and other dwarf cichlids, aptly called apistogramma.com that will give you photos and detailed info about many available.
There are cool water Apistos from southern S America that don't need heaters, and can handle varied water chemistry as well as soft, warm water types, all to fit your particular conditions.
thanks it looks like a really good site

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
If this would work as stocking.
1 cockatoo apisto
1 blue apisto
1 triple red apisto
all female. Also how do you sex them and tlindsey why can you only have 1 male

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Only one male in a tank of your size due to aggression. Keep m/f of the same species to avoid cross breeding undesireable hybrids. 1m/2-3f & some small tetras and you're good to go.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Only one male in a tank of your size due to aggression. Keep m/f of the same species to avoid cross breeding undesireable hybrids. 1m/2-3f & some small tetras and you're good to go.
yeah i understand now. So do you think the I choose would work? Also would I be able to put any more fish in like some dithers

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
yeah i understand now. So do you think the I choose would work? Also would I be able to put any more fish in like some dithers
Small tetra would work, avoid tetra such as Buenos Aires, neon or cardinal would really look great, also cory catfish.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store