Best canister filter?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
You could do an overflow without drilling any holes, and a sump wouldn't add much weight. You could get away with a 75 gallon sump which only about half full will weigh about 250 lbs. I am a mason, and a carpenter by trade, and a floor can support more than you think lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hmmm that would be an interesting idea I just have to make sure I can get a second tank inside the stand as it is in my bedroom...

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Personally I love the marineland canister. I have two 220 on my75 Gallon. Super quiet and very easy and non messy when changing and cleaning media. Id get two of the largest ones. And 120 gallons of water every week? That's dedication man, keep it up!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Brobstfish, being a mason and a carpenter does not make you an engineer. You do what the engineers design. Not knocking your trades. My son is a carpenter.

If you are going to have rays I assume you will have sand? Then you don't want to use FX5 or 6. They have the pump on the bottom. The rays kick up sand and some will end up in the bottom of the filter. It will at the very least ruin impellers if not motors. If you use cannisters, Eheim 2262 are a superior filter plus the pump is on top, where it belongs. There are many threads on here about problems with the FX and zero threads about problems with Eheim classic filters. Also, you would need to run at least 2 of these along with powerheads for current.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You could do an overflow without drilling any holes, and a sump wouldn't add much weight. You could get away with a 75 gallon sump which only about half full will weigh about 250 lbs. I am a mason, and a carpenter by trade, and a floor can support more than you think lol.

Brobstfish, being a mason and a carpenter does not make you an engineer. You do what the engineers design. Not knocking your trades. My son is a carpenter.
No disrespect either Brobstfish, but I would have to agree with Rodger. You can't really make any sort of call without knowing and/or physically seeing the structure of the OP's house

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I agree with both of you, I can't make any structural decisions without seeing the house. However of the houses I have built, and the engineers that I have worked with, 250lbs would not make the difference between that floor failing or not. Most people weigh over 200lbs.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
IMO the FX5 / 6 are the best Can. filters on the market!!! I believe I have used about every filter out there and most of them are in my basement because they no longer work!!! I have 6 FX5's on 4 different tanks, 3 of those tanks have sand for substrate and have NEVER EVER had any kind of problems with any of the filters!!!

I have 2 FX5 on a 240 gallon with 4 large cat fish (2 RTC ) that kick up a lot of sand every time they move, 3 years later and never had a problem with either filter!!!!!!! I do take 1 filter a month out and completely clean it out real good and do find sand in them some times but it don't hurt them at all!!!

Everybody has their own opinion on everything and this is just my 2 cents on what works best for me over the years!!! 2 FX5 would work perfect on that tank with the Rays!!!

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Hmmm Thankyou all I think I may get a 2262 and see how that works because then I can run in line heaters which would be great so they aren't physically in the tank preventing the Rays from getting burned. Then I can have both and whichever I end up like more (fx5 or 2262) then I will purchase another one of those. Thankyou all for the imput! I would do an overflow but a 75 not a 55 can fit under my stand so that option is out! Thankyou all again! If there are anymore opinions I would love to hear them still!

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
A forty gallon sump will work on that tank. I would run a sump and a canister. Plug the canister into a battery backup in case the power goes out. The sump makes maintenance and water changes so easy. If your ever coming up my way stop and check out my setups.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store