Project 365 is a go!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I went back and looked at the photos ,maybe I was out of line.Sorry guy I would not set that tank up in my ex bosses house. who ever made that tank should be slapped.That tank should be at least 1inch thick 36x36 x65 also that top was glued wrong and the sides were cut wrong that were to be glued to the top.acrylic done right just dosent come apart
This is nothing but nonsense...yes all acrylics arent created equal and not every shop sells a good product , but being "in the acrylic industry" as you say u are (which i dont believe) you should know acylic tanks can always be repaired/refurbed/ or improved on. Nothing lasts forever, not even a tank made by u sir... lol...no matter how good u think u are, ur builds will fail one day. Its basic science and a simple engineering principle. This tank can easily be cut down to fit through the door and also reinforced with weld-on #40 on the seams to make it last/hold water for another 20+ years for around $100-150. Throw in a center brace and fix the top, no biggie....Well worth the money to make the tank new again and quite fun imo to repair. Ive put humpty back together many times over on busted acrylic tanks faaaaaar worse than this and theyve been running 5+ yrs for me no prob. If they leak u can always improve on them to prevent problems down the road. Saying to put reptiles in it and give up/call it quits on a nice tank is ludacris lol... ur a good salesmen to get people to buy new tanks guy.. Maybe u should pay attention to more things at ur work in the "acrylic industry" and learn a thing or two. Chix dont listen to this schtick, ur on the right track of cutting it down a few inches and refurbing it. I put a 450gal back together that exploded in someones house, cracked bottom end to end, back wall popped off and all the top braces broke. Its full as we speak an has been since 09.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
What we know, the tank won't fit in the house without construction, the top came unglued, the tank needs to be cleaned and buffed maybe a wet sand first. Cut the tank down to 30" high which is more suitable for 1/2" acrylic, that will leave you with still a great footprint and the tank will fit thru the doors. Check the other seems really well and decide whether to cut them out and reglue or tip and pour with #40. Wet sand and buff, prep the glueing surface on the top panel and sides then glue using #40. Of course if you decide to take the hole tank apart it will make buffing the panels easier. The best part about acrylic tanks is they can always be refurbished even if your not tcfish.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the backup wednesday! All that nonsense didn't make much sense to me!

...Cut the tank down to 30" high which is more suitable for 1/2" acrylic...
That... that... that... is... that... um... that is probably the most common sense thing I've ever read.

I'm over here talking about cutting off a SIDE and bringing it in two inches. Holy poop. Thank you! LOL

Me --\/
hurrr im a hoers.jpg

hurrr im a hoers.jpg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Got a little work done today! I'd have gotten quite a bit more done, but I'm buggered for want of a c-clamp.

The first thing I did was remove the top bracing.

uploadfromtaptalk1411941179436.jpg

When I did, a couple of weak spits became apparent. Well, one was a weak spot with preexisting crazing, the other is a sign if mynheavy hands.

uploadfromtaptalk1411941250932.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411941272588.jpg

I am extremely please with the decision to remove the top brace (thank you poppalina for the infusion if common sense!) Because doing so allowed me to get a feel for the seams on the sides of the tank. One seam was essentially shot.

uploadfromtaptalk1411941403722.jpg

I'm not too worried about this though; again, I plan to reseal the whole thing, right?

All of the bottom seams seemed really strong. It appears as though they were resealed at some point in the past. The other three side seams are garbage and in dire need of a reseal.

I've decided to, per poppalina's suggesstion, cut the tank down to only 30" tall. This serves three functions. First, and most importantly, it allows me to get it through the door. Second, it takes care of that stupid little hole pictured below. Third, it gives me raw materials to work with. I'll have two 65" pieces and two 35" pieces, both five inches wide. I'm going to use them to reinforce the top brace and tonpkug the bulkhead homes in the bottom.

uploadfromtaptalk1411941631150.jpg

Finally, I decided to measure the thickness of the acrylic. It wasn't 1/2" like you all thought or 3/4" like I thought; it was 9/16".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:Glad I was able to help and looking forward to the progression, now that my name is all over it Lol.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I went back and looked at the photos ,maybe I was out of line.Sorry guy I would not set that tank up in my ex bosses house. who ever made that tank should be slapped.That tank should be at least 1inch thick 36x36 x65 also that top was glued wrong and the sides were cut wrong that were to be glued to the top.acrylic done right just dosent come apart
LOL 'that tank should be at least 1inch thick 36x36x65' Did you and the guys from 'tanked' read the same book??? The guys from 'tanked' only make excessively thick tanks so that they can justify charging their customers a fortune for the build. Sure... 1 inch would have made it stronger... 2 inches would have been even better! :ROFL:The first 'plexiglass' tank I built was a 180 gallon tank in 1987(total build cost $120). It still holds water today...even if it's only used as a sump. Sad to say not much has changed since then (build-wise). Figured there would have been bigger advances in raw materials(better and stronger plastics) but nope... also identical to 1987.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I think the purpose of the tiny hole was to aid in overflow protection. Or it might have been the overflow itself. Perhaps an auto drip was used and the hole was where the max waterline was. Would work perfectly without a sump.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Make sure you're homeowners insurance covers floods. This has "nightmare" written all over it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store