Species tank?

Brittyboo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2014
Adelaide
Any suggestions of what can be kept with 6 tiger barbs and a bristlenose (40g tank)? Should it be just a tiger barb tank? I'd like a singular, bigger fish, but I'm open to any suggestions :) I'm particularly fond of blue fish :grinno:

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Farlowell Henriquei, maybe? These guys are really interesting fish, and quite rare. Jeff Rapps has some in stock right now:

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com

Scroll down just a bit.

I'd you like blue, search "ram cichlid." Lots of vibrant blue ones to choose from.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Yup. Most of the options that spring to mind are ruled out here as they will one day eat your barbs.

You could always get a few of the smaller, "upper-jaw" Polypterus species. Namely senegalus. Chain pet stores call them dinosaur eels, as they hail from the Jurrassic period. 40g breeders are the perfect grow out tanks for small poly specimens of any species, and a senegalus can potentially live in one for many years. You would need to relocate the barbs when the poly was nearing 5.5-6" though. Finding a mildly larger fish to coexist with your barbs might prove difficult, as most fish eat one another indiscriminately.

Rams aren't going to be as big as you might like, but hey, they're blue, and generally peaceful fish.

Most of the people on this site are more knowledgeable about larger fish. You might try finding a good online dealer, browsing through their stock, and asking your local fish store if they can order the fish you want. I would assume an African butterfly fish would eat your barbs, but that's another interesting choice that could spend all or most of its life in a 40.

Brittyboo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2014
Adelaide
I think any type of Polypterus would be ruled out because the barbs won't be relocated, I've grown to like them way more than expected :confused: The butterfly fish looks really interesting, I think I'll do a bit more reading to see if it's worth the risk. I do like the look of the rams, very nice looking little fish, any idea of how many I'd roughly be able to keep?

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
throw in a school of odessa barbs, they have some really great colors and can hold their own against tiger barbs.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
After googling, it looks like butterfly fish will probably be alright with your barbs. Evidently that is a common pairing.

If the tank is a standard 40g breeder, my guess would be 3-7 rams and 2-3 butterfly fish. Make sure you have some decor in case of bickering between the barbs and rams. It shouldn't get serious, but fin nipping happens.

Butterfly fish are more or less strictly surface dwellers, and will appreciate the footprint of a 40g breeder. They're really cool fish. Just make sure that your lid is tightly sealed with no openings they can fit through, because they can jump quite high, and will probably be convinced that there is a gigantic lake at the foot of the tank.

I would recommend you take your time stocking. Try a few of each and see what you like. Its always good to have room saved in the tank in case you find a fish that you absolutely must have. Your fish will appreciate an understocked tank as well.

Brittyboo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks for the odessa barb idea Allan, but as nice looking as they are they don't appeal to me

After googling, it looks like butterfly fish will probably be alright with your barbs. Evidently that is a common pairing.

If the tank is a standard 40g breeder, my guess would be 3-7 rams and 2-3 butterfly fish. Make sure you have some decor in case of bickering between the barbs and rams. It shouldn't get serious, but fin nipping happens.

Butterfly fish are more or less strictly surface dwellers, and will appreciate the footprint of a 40g breeder. They're really cool fish. Just make sure that your lid is tightly sealed with no openings they can fit through, because they can jump quite high, and will probably be convinced that there is a gigantic lake at the foot of the tank.

I would recommend you take your time stocking. Try a few of each and see what you like. Its always good to have room saved in the tank in case you find a fish that you absolutely must have. Your fish will appreciate an understocked tank as well.
Thanks for all your help :) I'm thinking of grabbing 2 rams to start with (dependent on what my locals stores stock) then grabbing a butterfly once I can get hold of a properly fitting lid, that way I have some space if I do come across that "must have" fish :thumbsup:

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How about an electric blue acara?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store