UV Sterilizer help

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
So I was feeling antsy and bought a UV Sterilizer. I've been looking it up and going through this website to figure out what type of flow rate I'll need to achieve level 1 sterilization but I'm not sure if I have it figured out correctly. I'm planning on buying a second canister filter to run the UV on so I can run the water through some mechanical filtration before it hits the UV.

It's a 36 watt compact UV, I know it's large but I couldn't find the 18W one, and it's going on a 150 gallon aquarium. So say it's 20 gph per watt to obtain level 1 sterilization, I will need a canister rated at 720 gph...a little more to compensate for the loss of going through the filter pads, correct? If I wanted to go for level 2 sterilization at 8-10 gph per watt...so roughly 300-360 gph, do you think there would be any adverse side effects when it comes to my plants or fish?

I was also thinking of using a pump with a sponge prefilter because I'm having a hard time finding a canister that offers the flow rate to give me level 1 sterilization. If you have any recommendations on a pump or canister please include them.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
Go by manufacturer's specs. It's about dwell time (exposure time) more than anything else, and that varies by unit.

-Ryan

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Great!
I'm looking to add a uv to my tank as well. What you purchased sounds exactly what I'm looking for, may I ask what model you got and how much? I know it will be ooooverkill for me, I plan on only running it 1 day a week. I'm looking for level 2 sterilization. From the small amount of research I've done I don't think a uv light could harm your tank, but I am wondering why you're trying to stay at level 1, is your algae that bad, or am I missing something?

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
+1 exposure time is what is important and will vary by model regardless of wattage...hence the range of suggested flow. I would opt for the slower flow rate, especially if you got something like I have (turbo twist).

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Also if you are running at stage 2 which I recommend, do not run UV on the tank until it cycles...trust me

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Canister flow rates are way out there. Some people say Eheim canisters have advertised flow rates with media. I still don't think they get what's on the box, and theres a big difference between brand new clean media, and media thats been In the canister for more than a week.

To be realistic I'd take whatever number gph the canister filter puts out and judge my baseline on 50% of that number just to be safe. Or do some tests your self on what your actually putting out.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Great!
I'm looking to add a uv to my tank as well. What you purchased sounds exactly what I'm looking for, may I ask what model you got and how much? I know it will be ooooverkill for me, I plan on only running it 1 day a week. I'm looking for level 2 sterilization. From the small amount of research I've done I don't think a uv light could harm your tank, but I am wondering why you're trying to stay at level 1, is your algae that bad, or am I missing something?
I went with the SunSun CUV-136 (formerly Terminator)

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/CompactUVSterilizer.html#36watt

From what I've read it's one of the best in its class without being expensive. I've seen it mentioned on a few different sites that label turbo twist and other brands like jebae or something as horrible unless looking strictly for clarification due to the +.3 mm gap between the light and water.

Ideally level 2 would be what I would go for, I just wasn't sure if there would be any negative effects from it. I haven't received the unit yet so I don't have the manufacturer's ratings yet. Most likely I'll end up aiming for the level 2 sterilization.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Canister flow rates are way out there. Some people say Eheim canisters have advertised flow rates with media. I still don't think they get what's on the box, and theres a big difference between brand new clean media, and media thats been In the canister for more than a week.

To be realistic I'd take whatever number gph the canister filter puts out and judge my baseline on 50% of that number just to be safe. Or do some tests your self on what your actually putting out.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah, I was going to actually set the canister up and then time how long it took to fill a 1 gallon bucket and figure out the flow rate from there. I already have a good canister on the tank so I really don't need superb filtration from this one, just a little bit of mechanical to catch any debris before entering the uv chamber.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I went with the SunSun CUV-136 (formerly Terminator)

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/CompactUVSterilizer.html#36watt

From what I've read it's one of the best in its class without being expensive. I've seen it mentioned on a few different sites that label turbo twist and other brands like jebae or something as horrible unless looking strictly for clarification due to the +.3 mm gap between the light and water.

Ideally level 2 would be what I would go for, I just wasn't sure if there would be any negative effects from it. I haven't received the unit yet so I don't have the manufacturer's ratings yet. Most likely I'll end up aiming for the level 2 sterilization.

From what I've read the SunSun is basically at the top of the "cheap" UVs. Then you have tmc, aqua, emperor which are superior for several reasons, but prices are way up their in comparison. Turbo twist design isn't horrible the main issues though are distance of light and water and volume of water. Basically, from the research I've been doing in the past and presently I'd say jebao, and other low price UVs < Turbo twist < sunsun <emperor <tmc<aqua...there are plenty of other brands that fit into that equation too. Anyways I guess again I'm getting away from your original question. Level 2 would be beneficial for your aquarium once it is cycled and beneficial bacteria have been established in the filter. Again, I'd suggest running your gph around the lowest suggested rate due to the quality of the UV unit, which means plumbing it through a canister would probably be fine. I'm also assuming this is NOT a marine setup?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
From what I've read the SunSun is basically at the top of the "cheap" UVs. Then you have tmc, aqua, emperor which are superior for several reasons, but prices are way up their in comparison. Turbo twist design isn't horrible the main issues though are distance of light and water and volume of water. Basically, from the research I've been doing in the past and presently I'd say jebao, and other low price UVs < Turbo twist < sunsun <emperor <tmc<aqua...there are plenty of other brands that fit into that equation too. Anyways I guess again I'm getting away from your original question. Level 2 would be beneficial for your aquarium once it is cycled and beneficial bacteria have been established in the filter. Again, I'd suggest running your gph around the lowest suggested rate due to the quality of the UV unit, which means plumbing it through a canister would probably be fine. I'm also assuming this is NOT a marine setup?
It's not marine and it's an established tank. Yeah, I was looking at the TMC but I couldn't justify spending $180 on a UV light I really don't need. Basically just got bored and wanted to buy something new and I had been looking at UV off and on for awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store