why can't i have an aro group

Meyjeffery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2009
Delaware
WOW that sucks, looks like a very agressive tank. Must have been impressive. What kind of filtration and how big is tank. I was also wondering what they ate last. Maybe something in food. I would also look into pest control. Sometimes they do not stay away from tanks with spray. Maybe some got into tank, just a thought. Again sorry for the loss, I lost 1 24" big aro and was sad.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
sounds like fin rot on the catfish thats what happened to two of mine so i moved them to a 40 gallon qt tank and started treating with this red liquid called the fishkeeper been treating for 6 days now and they have been improving in the begining they looked like zombies it was horrible
this would have to be fin rot on roids. i was thinking it looks like it on the catfish, but it only took a few hours to do what normally takes a few weeks.

wow, tough loss.. What size tank?
it was a 180gal(6'x2'x2') it was pretty full, but well filtered. i was thinking about selling the aros to get a larger setup to do a black aro group. but all that went to hell

Outbid curiosity, what is that on the bottom of ur tank? I'm referring to the decor or something

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
it is natural marble tile. i have not cut it yet since i need 2 more tiles. i originally ordered it for the 120gal, but since i am selling that i put it in the 180gal.

Ouch, sorry for your loss.

What plants are you using for hydroponics? Some plants such as Philodendron shouldn't be used around toothy fishes as they are toxic; a few bites to the plants could release enough of the toxin into the water to kill the arowanas and catfish.
thanks, i am using bamboo and pothoes. i have never had an issue with it before and the past aros i have had chomped it many times with out ill effects. not sure it it was different this time or not.

WOW that sucks, looks like a very agressive tank. Must have been impressive. What kind of filtration and how big is tank. I was also wondering what they ate last. Maybe something in food. I would also look into pest control. Sometimes they do not stay away from tanks with spray. Maybe some got into tank, just a thought. Again sorry for the loss, I lost 1 24" big aro and was sad.
thanks it was impressive and i have to restart yet again. it was a 180gal, filtration was hydroponics, fx5, odassy 700, and an emperor 400. i just fed them pellets the night before and all the fish in the 180gal now just ate the same pellets i fed them yesterday and have been feeding them for the last few months. the only thing that hinders the pest control is that it didn't affect everything in the tank, but most. all 5 gars that were in there were fine. i just did a wc no extra cleaning and nothing else is affected. i'll try and get a pic of the cat now. you can see in the pics of the hybrid the fins and mouth is fine, i hope i can get the detail in the fins now.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Well if I have been near tears all day, I can only imagine how you feel! :cry: (There needs to be a hug smiley for just such an occasion...) Why'd you rule out your other theory? I didn't think it sounded too bad...

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
witch one? that damn neighbors music sending to much bass through the tank causing them to freak out? it just started to seem more like me just pissed at him for it and jumping to that as a cause, though it is plausible.

i am loading a vid of the catfish. it doesn't look good.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
this is the vid of the cats and use the pic from just 6hrs before. look at the lips and fins

[video=youtube;ou4gcIe1Yw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou4gcIe1Yw8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Wow, sorry to see this.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Not sure why no one is stating the obvious, but trying to keep all of those huge fish in a 180G is going to be a challenge. A 180 is too small for a single silver Aro, let alone 5. Having such a huge fish load with such a small volume of water doesn't really leave you much room for error at all. Hope I don't come across as insensitive (it sucks that they died), but to keep that many huge fish successfully you are going to need a larger tank.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
sorry for the loss bro ... :(
thanks

Wow, sorry to see this.
thanks

Not sure why no one is stating the obvious, but trying to keep all of those huge fish in a 180G is going to be a challenge. A 180 is too small for a single silver Aro, let alone 5. Having such a huge fish load with such a small volume of water doesn't really leave you much room for error at all. Hope I don't come across as insensitive (it sucks that they died), but to keep that many huge fish successfully you are going to need a larger tank.
no one is stating the obvious because i know what i am doing and everyone knows this. take a look in the stickies for my name, about the 6th one down.

the true obvious thing is that this is a completely random thing. not sure on the exact cause, but a random event non the less.

Scott.. so sorry man.. i really don't know what to say.. i couldn't look at the pictures.. everyone's worst nightmare.. take care mate.. :(
thanks kaya. i will try again in the future. i am going to do some tank changes and then i may get a community of blacks going. just got to find some fry of them first. everywere around here has them at 12"+, i want to start them off small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store