20 Gallon Native Tank Build Thread

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys! Well I have all the green lights I need to get my next tank! It'll be going on the bakers rack in my dining room. The dimensions are 30"L x 12"W x 12"T. Room temperature in my house is 64-82 but I can always float a bottle of ice on the rare days in goes above 78. pH of my tap is 7.6 so perfect for native fish.

The stock is going to be a single green sunfish that I'll catch either with a minnow trap or rod and reel with the barb bent back on the hook. I know this tank might be a bit small for a green but I'll upgrade when needed. I'll be feeding him half an earthworm twice a day until I can wean him/her onto dry. I'm hoping it won't sulk since looking at the size of the ones at my local lake it appears they're less than a year old meaning they should still be fairly adaptable.

For substrate I'm using all seeded gravel from my 75 and I'll just add a bag of new stuff I to my 75 that way the tank can get established faster. For decor I found some nice rocks at my local lake that I'm boiling now and a few native plants such as Jungle Val and Hornwort. Filtration will be plants plus a seeded sponge filter from my 75 gallon. Aearation will be a whisper 40 or 50.

In terms of when I'm getting the fish, probably Monday or so, just want to give the tank a day to run. I know what you're thinking "what about cycling!?!?". Well like I said, all the substrate is coming from my 75 gallon and same wih the filter so in pretty much set on bacteria, it'll be on every surface except the glass the day I set it up! And I know it isn't native but until it's been running for a month or so and I'm confident it established I'll be keeping a small "bowl" of java moss in the tank to avoid any ammonia spikes then I'll take it out.

I'm either getting the tank tonight, Saturday, or Sunday so I'll keep you guys updated! I'm so excited to finally get into natives :)

And I'm open to any advice you guys have to give!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Here are the three rocks I picked out of my local lake for decor.

image.jpg

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Those are some good looking stones. Are they porous? I have always liked the look of Java covered rocks not to mention the added biological benefits.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Those are some good looking stones. Are they porous? I have always liked the look of Java covered rocks not to mention the added biological benefits.
I'm not sure. But they were covered in silt when I got them and even now there's still a bit coming off them. I tried java moss before in my 30 and it didn't go to well, it just scattered app over the place and made a mess, only reason I'm putting it in at all is for ammonia absorbtion.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Yeah its good for scattering, how did you attached it in your 30g? I've found fishing line works the best. Should be a cool setup however. I would say he/she should adapt very well. My pickerel was skitterish at first. However since i don't keep feeders in with him, he associates people with getting fed so he's generally fine with people. Had issues with my daughter's smacking the side of the tank however.... little ****s lol

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah its good for scattering, how did you attached it in your 30g? I've found fishing line works the best. Should be a cool setup however. I would say he/she should adapt very well. My pickerel was skitterish at first. However since i don't keep feeders in with him, he associates people with getting fed so he's generally fine with people. Had issues with my daughter's smacking the side of the tank however.... little ****s lol
Well I actually just clumped it into a ball and put it between decor so I guess I wasn't exactly trying to teather it. Java moss just breaks apart to easily IME though to be attached to stuff long term.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Update:

Sadly the tank has been delayed until September or October :(. I am getting a fry tank although that's not nearly as exciting. Oh well, I'll be sure to revive this thread when I get it.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The reason is because starting either next or in two weekends I will be gone literally EVERY weekend from now until the middle or end of september on either a fishing or a diving trip. I also feel like the more I dive with natives the better I'll be able to design a tank specifically for the needs of the one I'm planning. Also I'm needing to get a tank for my fry which I'm currently keeping in an unheated 5 gallon bucket so there's that as well.

Don't worry guys, it's coming eventually :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store