My new 75 gallon with sump.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Prefilter is just that. Inside the overflow box, do you have any floss/matt or sponge material? Or do you just rely on the sock in your sump for mechanical?

Basiclly its going to break down to this...
For 'clean water' add as much bio material you can to your system, ie: scrubbies or lava rock or ceramic or K1 or LEGO's....
For 'clear water' mechanical is the stuff to grab the particulates, ie: pre filter in HOB overflow or sock(s) or floss mat or foam in your sump.

I run 90% bio media 14% mechanical and 1% chemical filtration in my systems, bio is mostly all scrubbies with some ceramic and bioballs etc stuff for the good bacterial to stick too. I use a combo of all mentioned mechanical stuff above. And I use Prime on occasion (chemical).

No carbon whatsoever

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
Okay so my sump is stuffed with scrubbies all the way,how shall I keep them submerged? And bought some blue filter sheets to go where the water drains into the sump and I stuffed some where the water intakes from the over flow? And then I just plan to change it. Sounds good? I did all that today so I hope to see some affect. It was getting very cloudy, I also added seachem stability to hopefully get those new scrubbies cycled. My first sump and I've done everything wrong haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
You should of seen my first sump. You were on the right track at least! I'd use egg crate and some rocks to keep it down

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
It's still not clearing up like it's super cloudy, I put a aqua clear 70 on there to help. The tank was previously for salt and the light it's a reef light for growing algae. You don't think that could factor in?

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
It's still not clearing up like it's super cloudy, I put a aqua clear 70 on there to help. The tank was previously for salt and the light it's a reef light for growing algae. You don't think that could factor in?

Give it a few days and it should start to clear up, it's probably due to the tank going through its cycle.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Definitely a cycle with an ammonia spike. Get some prime and dose appropriately. But this is to help the fish. It will take a day or so, but it will one morning be crystal clear.

Do not feed your fish- they can go a week or two without food if needed, start light feeding when the water clears.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store