Canister filter opinions?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I think you would be more than good with one canister. How many Rays are going to be in there

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Going to start with a pair of marbles and maybe in a year add a leo if I can afford one. Simply just a grow out for now not a permanent tank I just have to wait to get anything larger until I own my own house hahaha. Other stock is going to be maybe 3 dats and one other predatory fish of some type just not sure what yet?

bmpauley

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2013
Marysville ohio
Going to start with a pair of marbles and maybe in a year add a leo if I can afford one. Simply just a grow out for now not a permanent tank I just have to wait to get anything larger until I own my own house hahaha. Other stock is going to be maybe 3 dats and one other predatory fish of some type just not sure what yet?

I love marbles I've had one before great Ray.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
They are supposed to be on paper better than the 5s but I hear that they clog easily and don't seem to have the flow that they should. A lot of the reviews are showing them not to be as nice as well. This is just what I am hearing I am not speaking from my own experiences with the fx6. I can't afford to buy something that doesn't preform like it should and thus why I'm seeking aid hahaha.

I hear ya, but it's odd... I have read favorable reviews for it, and just acquired one. Haven't hooked it up yet, so I can let you know once I do. that said, having had FX5s as well, they look and feel like essentially the same filter, other than the FX6 is black instead of gray, and has a couple of reminder dials on the lid. That aside, they can use many of the same parts, have about the same motor, and the exact same warranty. But yeah, I'll let you know how mine is working... I'll be setting it up tomorrow.

-Rich

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
i have 2x 2180 (heater version) and 2x 2080 (normal). running my 8ftr. I own fx5s before and i find the eheims much better both wattage and media capacity. I have a modified 3450 and wave makers to circulate water inside the tank as well.

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Iv been running a pair of fx6 filters since before they officially came out and have had no problems at all. Something I never experienced because I started with a fx6 was the reported problems with the screws on the fx5 (the ones that hold the top on).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I also run two fx6's on my 150 they work great IMO good value for money too , I've also got an fx5 running on my Malawi tank the impeller has been clogged a few times due to coral/sand but other than that its also ben great , the screws on the top never bothered me (I also prefer the look of the fx5 orange and grey looks better IMO )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Potentially 3 rays and tankmates in a 220 you'll need more than one canister. Especially once they start breeding. I'd do two or three 2262. More cost than fx5/6 but better filters that rarely have problems.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Overall a 220 won't be big enough for most females let alone breeders. Overall if you are looking into rays a 220 can be a good grow out but once they start getting to the breeding size or adultgood your going to need much bigger.

Potentially 3 rays and tankmates in a 220 you'll need more than one canister. Especially once they start breeding. I'd do two or three 2262. More cost than fx5/6 but better filters that rarely have problems.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
^Yes. If upgrade not possible look into hystrix or mini Marbles

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Overall a 220 won't be big enough for most females let alone breeders. Overall if you are looking into rays a 220 can be a good grow out but once they start getting to the breeding size or adultgood your going to need much bigger.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
Yes this tank is simply a grow out for the time being. All is going to depend on the growth rates of the specific rays I end up with as to how long they will be residing in this tank. I personally am looking at approximately two years until I move out and am personally able to upgrade. I do however have a backup plan for my fish as a local friend and fellow mfker will have his pond up to house them until I am moved or his 6'x3'. This is only a grow out tank not a permanent home for my fish. I am starting with the smaller rays (marbles) now and am looking into a larger species (leo) towards the end of next year. This means the marble pair would be in the 220 for two years if it lasts and the leo only a single year. It is going to take me some time to get the fish I want so it isn't like all the fish will be in there tomorrow this is spread out over the next year stock wise, thus why I am doing my research now so I am not scrambling then. The only thing in the 220 now is 5 little gold barbs and 8 baby blue gouramis to start cycling the tank and make sure there is no water quality issues along with lots of water tests and everything this far is appearing to be good so I am pleased so far!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store