sp. sedentaria or sp. bellycrawler

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I had a pike a while ago which I was told was a belly crawler. It had two small round markings on its dorsal and tail fin. Now I have another pike, also supposed to be a belly crawler, but this one does not have any spots on the dorsal or rear fins. They look very similar. I originally had thought my first pike was a Crenicichla sedentaria, but apparently it was not. How do you tell a bellycrawler and a sedentaria apart AND do all bellycrawlers have dorsal and tail spots. Thanks

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Rapps had some sedentaria just look at his old threads. Sedentaria have really short stocky bulldogish heads unmistakablely differnet than a reg. belly crawler

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
OK, so I just want to double check some info I found. Crenicichla sp. bellycrawlers have dorsal ocelli only if female? Thus, explaining why some sp. bellycrawlers have the dorsal ocelli and some don't. Is this accurate? Basically the dorsal ocelli (spot) is not indicative of a different species but merely of the bellycrawler's sex? Can someone please confirm this...Thanks

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Duanes ~ That looks more like a female geayi. Female belly crawlers will have red spots/markings on the side. Sometimes they come in as contaminants with belly crawlers, or maybe the belly crawlers are contaminants? :D

Crenicichla geayi

Crenicichla sp. 'belly crawler'

Plus sp. BC is more sedentary, stays out of the water column more and closer to the bottom due to its specialized swim bladder.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Peanut_Power, you could very well be right, I got her as fry at a cichlid auction from a breeder who was convinced it was "belly crawler", but as we all know, just because a cichlid is sold as one thing, doesn't mean it is valid. Especially these days with all the random crossings.
I've had her less than a year, so she has some developing to do, and she does normally hang close to the bottom.

I just picked (what I hope) turns out to be male, and they are separated until he(?) puts on some size, it is only about half her size at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store