Barbs with Texas Cichlid?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Just saw a video of a Texas Cichlid and some Colombian Tetras. That got me thinking maybe some barbs like black ruby, tiger, or cherry might work with my Texas. Any thoughts? has anyone ever done this? Its a 75 Gallon.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Tiger barbs would be a good choice. They are tough and too big to eat.

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
Just saw a video of a Texas Cichlid and some Colombian Tetras. That got me thinking maybe some barbs like black ruby, tiger, or cherry might work with my Texas. Any thoughts? has anyone ever done this? Its a 75 Gallon.
Depends if your Texas accepts them or if it ends up viewing them as food, like my jag does with any dithers I've ever put with him. In a 4 ft tank like that, my guess is that they'd become food at some point. The smaller your Texas and the bigger the barbs, the better.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
This is what I figured. she is still small and not very aggressive with tank mates (yet). I think I may give it a try and see how it goes.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Went to get some barbs today and instead came home with a male Texas cichlid. I hope he gets along with my female. He has the big slue spots. Looks beautiful. I have been watching him for about two weeks and just had to bring him home. The store said they would take him back if it doesn't work out.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I'm planning to pick up about 30 tiger barbs today at Petsmart at $1 each. Going to use them as dither in my 75 and ultimately 180 CA/SA tanks. The large fish will make the TG school up like a shoal of bait fish which looks really cool, and since they regularly go on sale for $1, its not a big deal if a few gets eaten here and there.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm planning to pick up about 30 tiger barbs today at Petsmart at $1 each. Going to use them as dither in my 75 and ultimately 180 CA/SA tanks. The large fish will make the TG school up like a shoal of bait fish which looks really cool, and since they regularly go on sale for $1, its not a big deal if a few gets eaten here and there.
I have 20 in that 120 with the Texas. Going to add more soon

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store