ID THIS LITTLE DAT PLEASE

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
K. I have offered him live black worms, freeze dried bloodworms, frozen bloodworms. Chases all of them the stops right before and doesn't not eat them. Not a fan of worms I guess. What should I feed next?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
He wants something moving something that looks live. what I did to get my ntt on shrimp was get a bamboo skewer and tie a piece of light fishing line to the tip of the skewer and a piece of shrimp or worm to the other end which would end up going in the water. Essentially I would fish for the datnoid moving the Line to make the presentation of food look live in the water and let him hunt it down and eat it and since I use an overhand knot the knot simply undid itself and left the shrimp worm or whatever in his mouth and the line stays attached to the skewer. I would repeat this until he showed no more interest. It takes a little while to get the hang of but once you can make it look live and move erratically he will be eating frozen or worms in no time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Surprised he's not eating the blackworms. Frozen PE Mysis shrimp is a very healthy option that's worked for me for very baby dats. Hopefully monkey see monkey do when he sees the geos grab them. It sinks fairly well, to stays clear of filter intakes

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Where u getting the feeders from? Are they minnows from baitshops, wild caught minnows, or are they just feeders from petstores? Are you willing to set up a 10gal or so for just the feeders themselves? If not I would stop feeding live minnows now & go another route immediately..they can be addicting & getting him on other things than whole fish can be challenging...i would only do this if you are willing to feed him whole fish as his staple diet for eternity. Live feeders would only be brief till he gets some nice early growth on him..then you would introduce him to thawed whole fish from the grocery stores..the conversion from live whole fish to thawed whole fish actually works very easy & consistantly ime

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Where u getting the feeders from? Are they minnows from baitshops, wild caught minnows, or are they just feeders from petstores? Are you willing to set up a 10gal or so for just the feeders themselves? If not I would stop feeding live minnows now & go another route immediately..they can be addicting & getting him on other things than whole fish can be challenging...i would only do this if you are willing to feed him whole fish as his staple diet for eternity. Live feeders would only be brief till he gets some nice early growth on him..then you would introduce him to thawed whole fish from the grocery stores..the conversion from live whole fish to thawed whole fish actually works very easy & consistantly ime
They are from my LFS. 10 for a buck. I'm setting up a 36" x 10" x 15" for this guy and then this 10 gallon tank will be free for feeders. I would prefer another alternative than live feeders , like I do with my aro, bass, ckf, and other fish. But I did not want to starve this little guy.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
A mix of hikari gold and hikari staple..Baby floating are best for tiny feeders

I used to catch my own creek chubs from the saltwater marshes for a couple dats that really demanded whole fish (including my ST). I could catch them by the hundreds each time i went. They would adapt immediately to fresh water. This species would absolutely devour these pellets till their stomachs looked like they would blowup.lol...LFS feeders can work too

Hikari carnivore pellets are gd to try to, u never know he may grab them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store