Tig and jur cohabitation: what are realistic expectations?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Darn, you guys are confirming my supposition on this. I was really hoping that someone would tell me that it could work, if... lol

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Maybe you'll have better luck than others, just keep it on mild sedatives :)

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
Im giving it a shot as well right now. I got 2 baby tigs growing out with a baby bagarius suchus. All three are about 3inches.......... So lets see if there will be aggression later (crossing fingers hopefully not).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
On my memory, member mustang93... (spelling?) is the only one I've come across with an adult jur and tig in one rather smallish tank that appear to cohab ok, even lie next to each other.

My personal pathetic experience with t and j does not go farther than 10". The j+j (when growing up from 3" to 10") interaction in a 120 gal is well documented in my thread on weaning two jurs off live foods. Sporadic fighting and periods of relative quiet. (At 10"+ both got transferred to a 2000 gal semi-natural pond. One got eaten by zungaro zungaro. The other survived for ~6 months but failed competition for food, ultimately, I think. Never really even reached 1'.)

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
They fight. Plenty of food and plenty of flow are about the only things you can do to minimze aggression.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

No fighting, torn fins, ripped streamers? How big were they when you put them together? What size were they when they went together? It looks like you have more than enough hiding places for both fish to get out of each other's way. I can't help but wonder if that makes a difference, especially since so many of us in this hobby like glass boxes with big fish.

I suppose that there's no harm in trying this combo. I imagine that I wouldn't have much trouble unloading a tig after I move to Socal, after all.

mustang93svt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
ohio
No fighting, torn fins, ripped streamers? How big were they when you put them together? What size were they when they went together?
They do chase each other rarely, 99% of the time no issues. The Tig lost his streamer once but don't know who the culprit was. They have been together for 2 years..(?) in my possession. I got them from cprmike at about 9"to 10" who had them together until they couldn't get along anymore. I got the Jur first then about six months or so later got the tig and since then have been good together. Both are eyeball 22"+ in a 420 gal.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Im giving it a shot as well right now. I got 2 baby tigs growing out with a baby bagarius suchus. All three are about 3inches.......... So lets see if there will be aggression later (crossing fingers hopefully not).

I tried 2 tigs before one grew real fast and the other didn't
One got to 10" the other stayed at 6-7" the bigger one then beat the other one up

This is normally what happens I have seen this happen in shops where they had 2 or 3 tigs

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Awesome. Just awesome.

I can't wait to see the up to date pics! :thumbsup:
Cool down, Rob! You are raising even my blood pressure. This is the only successful case we know of, or do we? Anyone?

But yes, I am much happy Ohio, personified here by Mustang93svt, came through again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store