Hot tub - tank pond?

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Just had an odd Idea people on craigslist are forever giving away hot tubs they want hauled away. Has anyone ever considered transforming one into a small pond or aquarium ect? Most are fiberglass shell and have plenty of pre drilled holes for plumbing and such. Was just thought.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Nice. I told the wife my idea she said if my fish get a hot tub before her im in for it. .... the fish one would be free tho

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
I have done it during the summer for the the last 4-5 years. I don't use the built in plumbing, I just stick a pond filter and pump on it and it works great. Different fish use the different depth ledges. It kinda helps separate territories.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Not a bad idea, but the plumbing on old hot tubs can be a nightmare, I know from experience.

I would remove all the old plumbing and plug up every hole except for 1-2 intakes and a few outputs from the filter(s).

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
That's one heavy pond. I thought about this and quickly said hell no. I'm a professional mover and I hate moving spas why would I want to do it willingly and for free. Hella heavy and pain in the ass.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I would think aside from the shell the only part you may want is the heater if you can set the temp on it. They average 400 plus gallons so its a fair size.

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
My buddy does this. He took an old hot tub siliconed all the holes up and runs it with a pond pump. Been running for like 3 years now.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Think I may try it in the spring when last I looked there were 4 available in my area for free. Just gotta decide if I will drop it in the ground or have it above ground

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Think I may try it in the spring when last I looked there were 4 available in my area for free. Just gotta decide if I will drop it in the ground or have it above ground
May get better insulation quality if it's in the ground......maybe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store