5.5 Feet of Luteus

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
How long does each phase last or rather at what ages do they cycle thru the phases. Amazing fish...kinda jealous :)
Sorry, hope this is not viewed as threadjack.

There is not set time that they go through the different phases. Phase independent from age and size. My last full gold phase 3 was 15" but still has a greyish belly. My current phase 3 is only 11" but the belly is already full yellow. What's great about them is that once they move into the next phase, they stay there. Unlike gold xantos that turns from yellow/creamish to grey, depending on their mood.

Most phase 1s will turn to phase 2. Most (including myself) believe that not all will turn into full gold phase 3. I guess Recumbent would like that, since phase 1 is more attractive in his eyes.

This is phase 3 @ 15"

This is phase 3 @ 11" As you can see, it's already at a better quality than the other one at 15". I've followed a friend's Luteus before getting mine, and his phase 2 did not improve at all after 3 years.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
This a very interesting pleco I don't know much about them. Are these plecos easy to get or are they harder to find.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
This a very interesting pleco I don't know much about them. Are these plecos easy to get or are they harder to find.
I've owned cars while growing up that cost less than buying one of these luteus, if that gives you any idea lol. Awesome plecos. Definitely on my wishlist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I've owned cars while growing up that cost less than buying one of these luteus, if that gives you any idea lol. Awesome plecos. Definitely on my wishlist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
LOL than I wont even look anymore.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Think how cool the ladies will think you are when they see you riding one of these...lol..better than a 63' Stingray
Maybe...ha ha

corvette.jpg

corvette.jpg

Recumbent

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
Luteus is not my most expensive pleco. Prices var greatly over time, but my top 5 are:

1. Honorary place holder for a > 8" LDA105 that I've never seen for sale (I've had to grow all mine out)
2. 13" L25
3. 13" L24
4. 14" phase 3 Luteus
5. 7" L273

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
I can picture how many hot chicks a Phase 3 luteus will attract. lol ! we sound like a bunch of nerds and geeks.

Wow Vic, the 13" clownloach looks like a 5" fish in that tank! have you ever posted pictures of your LDA 105 before?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store