Black crappie in aqurium

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok thx, any other tips for keeping crappie or other sunfish that wouldn't out compete my leaf fish
I have a yellow perch in with my crappie, and have been happy with the combination. I have a small bullhead I'm planning on trying with them when it grows big enough. Neither species has been overly aggressive for me, either in feeding or temperament.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Crappie are very shy and don't defend themselves and are very stubborn.
Gottcha. I have not kept crappie before. I managed to catch a few of them in my time in the southern states, I figured that any fish that hits artificial plugs must be somewhat aggressive, but that was only speculation.

You're thinking the Crappie will not get territorial or food competitive. I am curious to see how the experiment turns out. How much does a leaf fish cost?

obie83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2007
ohio
im in ohio and crappie are the only natives ive caught and could not get to eat pellets. so good luck

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
we need an update on how the combination turned out.
My crappie are completely domesticated now, they beg for food when I walk by, and hit the food hard when it hits the water, no shyness left in them at all. They eat whole food and freeze dried, but still do not take pellets, I have not given them live food for quite a while now.

My yellow perch died from unknown causes, looked fine one day, dead the next. It was always very skittish, and would take off at full speed and slam it's head into the glass when startled. Best guess it injured something doing this and died of infection.

The crappie were showing some fin damage, which I assumed was from aggression by the bullhead. Removed the bullhead a couple of months ago, and have not seen any damage since.

For the past couple of months the crappie are sharing the tank with some common goldfish and a common pleco.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
My crappie are completely domesticated now, they beg for food when I walk by, and hit the food hard when it hits the water, no shyness left in them at all. They eat whole food and freeze dried, but still do not take pellets, I have not given them live food for quite a while now.

My yellow perch died from unknown causes, looked fine one day, dead the next. It was always very skittish, and would take off at full speed and slam it's head into the glass when startled. Best guess it injured something doing this and died of infection.

The crappie were showing some fin damage, which I assumed was from aggression by the bullhead. Removed the bullhead a couple of months ago, and have not seen any damage since.

For the past couple of months the crappie are sharing the tank with some common goldfish and a common pleco.
Sounds like they take well to aquarium life. Is your aquarium heated?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store