NEW Polypterus Senegalus! My first bichir

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Just got my first bichir these guys look amazing why did I wait so long to get a bichir! He is so small and skinny I will see if I can beef him up on some
NLS thera a+ he seems interested and nips at the pellets already :D can't wait till he puts on some size so he can go in with my two dats sorry for sideways pics lol don't know how to fix
uploadfromtaptalk1409715473375.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1409715483410.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Cute little guy. Reminds me of when I had mine. They're such a cool species to keep. Enjoy.

Sent from my LGMS500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
How do I tell gender??

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Males anal fin is wide, and thick at the base. During spawning male bichir forms a cup to aid with fertilization. :)

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Easier to tell gender when a bit larger, you'll see the anal fins get bigger for a male (like chunky almost) and not if female

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
id recommend getting at least one more :) not just because bichirs are awesome but they prefer eachothers company.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I wanted to get two but he was the last one...I asked for two but when they moved the decor around he was the only one left. I like how responsive they are even at a young age...came home and he was sitting in the back of the tank..once he saw me he swam up to the glass waiting for food hehe he is still a little testy about the nls pellets but at least he nips at them.all i have is the 6mil thera a+ jumbo fish formula ,Other than that i have massivore.i break the pellets up of course but still they may be too big. he is a freakin beast! I wanted to get some of the bichir species that grow to monster size but I guess since sens are so common that's the only kind any lfs near me offers. They don't get anymore bichirs for another week I will get another when they come in they only get in sengalus. I might get three more so I have four but maybe I should just get two and get another species when that opportunity comes... as for now though he seems really responsive and active.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store