How do you guys do it?

robertjk7005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Piscataway NJ
+1 on the python and treating the tank with prime. also +1 on not getting distracted while doing this i have one to many times gotten distracted and overflowed my tanks while filling them....luckily tanks are in concrete basement with a sump lol so not that big a deal.

RobE

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
Seminole, FL
In my 150 I use a garden hose to syphen the water out into my yard. Then I refill with the garden hose and dose prime to the tank. I have been doing it this way for about 4 years and have had no problems. I used to mix in a Rubbermaid trash can and pump it into the tank. That got old real quick!

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Im a professional lifter thats how I'm abile to lift 167 lbs 5 and a half feet in the air to replace the water but I wont be young forever so I was looking for a alternative method.
240 pounds you actually. I was going to say how do you lift 30 gallons of water. Thats intense.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I use a water changer I made from hardware store plumbing parts. (Theres some brass but the exposure time is too fast to make a difference) it mounts on the sink aerator in my bathroom and drains into my bathtub. The added run to floor level helps with the siphon. I refill by switching the valve and running tap water at approx the same temp w/ prime dosed directly to the tank. Ive done 50% water changes on larger tanks with no ill effects the last couple years.
20140803_223106.jpg

I have a cold water native tank. I siphon the water to a drain. I refill aged water @ room temp from a large bin with a pump. Cold water makes things so much easier. And cheaper on the powerbill too.

20140803_223106.jpg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
20140803_224626.jpg
some more pics incase anyone is interested.

Funny thing Is, it started as an aqueon water changer.

First the hose failed, It collapsed under siphon. So i replaced that

Second the hose barb on the gravel vac broke off. I replaced that with a pvc u-tube

Then finally the valve body piece on the sink broke in half.

It Is 100% not an aqueon water changer anymore lol

20140803_224626.jpg

20140803_224547.jpg

MichaelE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2005
sweden
I drain the tank by jamming a hoes directly to the drainage in the shower.
To refill the tank I just hook the same hoes to my faucet and let it take care of itself while I watch some tv or something.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
How many gallons does your tank hold? I'm assuming you do an 80 gallon water change. If it was big enough I would do a R/O auto drip with with an overflow drain. Drill a hole where you want your waterline to be, of course use bulk heads to stop leaks and run a flex hose or pvc to a place you want the water to drain to(sink/big garden). You will be able to enjoy your hobby much more when can just you sit back and watch your fish instead of constantly working on the tank. There are threads that will help you understand the different types of drip systems.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Wow guys thx I had no idea I would get this much help. my chlorine test kit reads the chlorine at .3 all the fish seem ok with when I condition the hole tank with prime except the aro it seems to be to much for him, it seems his gills are burning if I was to guess. I was thinking about getting one of the filters from Walmart you put under the sink it says that it removes chlorine and harmful medals and you just replace the filter every three months this may be my best option but I dont kno. its a 150g tank so I make 4 trips when I do a water change it gets tiring doing it every week as the years go on. My biggest concern is I'm up grading to a 300g in the next couple weeks and I dont think I'm going tobe be able todo water changes with this method. Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store