Jack dempseys?

DBLN8

Dovii
MFK Member
You have the option of adding MORE Jack Dempsies too. I knew a guy who had about a dozen Dempsies in a thirty gallon. The largest was about 6" and they stair stepped down to 1.5". The dominant fish couldn`t single one out to pound on so no one was damaged beyond an occasional torn tail. He also kept all the others in line so they did`nt get to rough with each other. It was kind of like what Mbuna keepers do, spread out the mean-ness.
Really? this is your solution?

Re-home the smaller Dempsey your 55 is a good enough home for a single adult fish, it will get a little tight if he turns out to be a big male, but you have some time to deal with that.

"No. But it was a fun tank to watch."

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Most likely the larger one is more dominant. If they are both males then you would have a very small chance of being able to keep them both in the 55 long term anyway so if I were you I would just keep the larger one. Most 20-30 cm Central Americans could easily own a 55 to them selves anyway.
I had the same problem as you! Had two suspected male jacks... 1 was definitely male and the other 2 pale to tell.
The larger more dominant jack would chase him at 1st sight.. He wouldn't be bothered about the other fish!
As he grew it only got worse... Eventually had to re home the other jack.
So my advice would be to re home 1 of the jacks and kill this problem early..
Even if they were a pair the tank would be to small for them to breed successfully in the long run...Female(If a pair) will not be able to escape the males aggression..
So maybe look at a few dithers to keep with your solo jack :)
I would rehome the smaller JD. Depending on what else you have in the tank you could add small-medium sized SA/CA like a firemouth, convict, sajica, HRP...... All of these should be able to share a 55G with JD. Then you could a group of large bodied tetras like columbians or congos for dithers

Also NLS and Hikari are both quality foods, so your fish eating one or the other is fine.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just rehome the smaller jack. Maybe I'll put him in a quarantine tank once I get one. Or if he can survive until I get my 150 G I'll transfer him there. And also in my tank I have 2 albino algae eaters(currently larger then my jack was told they are too quick for the jack to catch so they'll be find), 1 Cherry barb(expecting him to go missing soon since his 2 other brothers have disappeared as well Lol), 1 blood parrot, 1 red spotted gold severum, and a acarichthys heckelii. The last 2 were recemmended by other people on this forum and must I say I wish I had gotten them before the jack cause they are BEAUTIFUL!

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I have giant danios and khuli loaches. At first my JD was hell bent on killing them all- she gave up. Now she is content just to watch them swim/ crawl around. Dithers really do helpbut you have to have enough of them. 1 danio will be dead in the morning. 3 or more (more is better) will live well with just about any thing in a big enough tank and their constant movement distracts from all cichlid grudge matches- just a thought

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
+1

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Don't mean to hijack the thread...

I have a pair of smaller JD's in a 40gallon breeder. About 5"

Im looking to upgrade to a 75g. A 48" is the largest i can go, its in my bedroom and a 90g would be too tall for my wallmount tv.

The pair get along really well. I got the female under unfortunate circumstances. (A woman my mother knew needed to "release a piranha" into a glacial spring because it was terrorizing her goldfish bowl) I didnt plan on having a pair. But here they are.

Do you think a 75g can support both?

I do 50-60% water changes each week along with gravel vaccuming. filtration will be a couple aqueon 55/75's, a sponge filter, and a fluval 406. Planning on possibly doing bare bottomm

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Don't mean to hijack the thread...

I have a pair of smaller JD's in a 40gallon breeder. About 5"

Im looking to upgrade to a 75g. A 48" is the largest i can go, its in my bedroom and a 90g would be too tall for my wallmount tv.

The pair get along really well. I got the female under unfortunate circumstances. (A woman my mother knew needed to "release a piranha" into a glacial spring because it was terrorizing her goldfish bowl) I didnt plan on having a pair. But here they are.

Do you think a 75g can support both?

I do 50-60% water changes each week along with gravel vaccuming. filtration will be a couple aqueon 55/75's, a sponge filter, and a fluval 406. Planning on possibly doing bare bottomm

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You should just start a new thread.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
(Quoted wrong post and dont know how to fix oh well. In reference to 12 jds In a 30g)

So by that math the OP should add what maybe 18 more to his 55g? Do you seriously think for one minute 12 cichlids in a 30g is a good idea? Smh
I really don't know why all you people say this about fish, If they fit in the tank they will be fine!!! I have a 18" and a 21" RTC in a 55 gallon tank and they have done fine for 3 years now!!!

And I am so lying right now... That is like locking your children in a small dog cage and think they will grow right and come out fine.. They need some room to grow and play... However if you had a mated pair of jacks in a 55 they would be ok if that was the only 2 fish you had in there with a good filter and big WC...

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
I put in a screen divider and my jack jumped it despite having a lid.... LOL. Completely defeats the purpose of having one so I guess I'll just have to invest in a bigger thank.

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
You have the option of adding MORE Jack Dempsies too. I knew a guy who had about a dozen Dempsies in a thirty gallon. The largest was about 6" and they stair stepped down to 1.5". The dominant fish couldn`t single one out to pound on so no one was damaged beyond an occasional torn tail. He also kept all the others in line so they did`nt get to rough with each other. It was kind of like what Mbuna keepers do, spread out the mean-ness.

Greatest suggestion of all time!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
75g be fine for a JD pair, long as a male and female that are paired. change the HoB to a AC110 and water changes to fin level or 90%. My pair breed like rabbits and do fine in the 75g. just do not over feed. i would post a vid but folks have to be really tired of seeing it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store