180g Stocking, clown loach plus ca/sa. Advice wanted!

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
Hi, I have a 180g with a 2260 and fx5. My current stock is 21 clown loach between 3" and 8".
I wish to add a feature cichlid such as hoplarchus psitacus but am worried my water is too hard. The water round here can be around 16dh.
What else could I keep with my clown loach?
Thanks!

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I had an oscar and NTT dat with my clown loaches for a while. They survived, but I wouldn't say they were thriving. They hid a lot more and didn't have your usual clown loach behaviors. Now I keep a ~9" flagtail and spotted silver dollars with mine. I'm actually really enjoying the completely non aggressive set up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
I would love an istlanum bit I think it would work about as well as a grammodes!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
Also I keep the water around 28 so it has to be something that likes it hot

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Hi, I have a 180g with a 2260 and fx5. My current stock is 21 clown loach between 3" and 8".
I wish to add a feature cichlid such as hoplarchus psitacus but am worried my water is too hard. The water round here can be around 16dh.
What else could I keep with my clown loach?
Thanks!
Your water is pretty hard, but it's been my experience that keeping soft water cichlids in harder water is fine unless you intend to breed them. Just make sure the psittacus gets a nice, long acclimation. Or see if your LFS can get any in stock. Most LFSs won't make special water treatments unless it's for a fish that absolutely requires it without exception. If the psittacus can make it with them for a few days, it will be fine with you.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
Sounds like a plan, I am waiting for some to breed at the moment so I can have some fry.
Also am I already quite heavly stocked with the clown loaches?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Sounds like a plan, I am waiting for some to breed at the moment so I can have some fry.
Also am I already quite heavly stocked with the clown loaches?
I know you said you had 21 ranging from 3"-8". I would say once most of them are about 6", you should look at rehoming some. The great news is they grow slow, and they are both incredibly valuable and easy to rehome when in the 6-8" range. If you would say you should shoot for the psittacus and a group of 6 loaches and that will max out your available bio load space when all are full grown with room for some top dwelling dithers. I would say to keep your total loach inches below 120" for the sake of your bio filters.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store