jaguar cichlid health concerns

abiancaniello

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
New Jersey
He eats but usually jus spits it out or crushes it and it comes out of gills...he isnt like fully ingesting it. I got him to take a small goldfish yesterday he seemed to ingest it. But i came to look today and found the bones of goldfish wirh some meat on it so he must have coughed it up at some point. It also seems like another small hole is developing i am going to get more HIH med and continue to treat...how long can fish live with this disease? Is he a goner? Or should i continue to treat to cure?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Post your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph parameters. You have the API freshwater master test kit?

3weeks is pretty short for a fully cycled new tank.

90% of HITH can be cured without medication. You need to makes sure that ammonia and nitrites stay at 0ppm, and that nitrates are well below 20ppm.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Like Rocksor said, the best thing for him isn't meds. Healthy living conditions and frequent water changes are the best remedy with medication being the last resort. Make sure your water parameters are what they're supposed to be first and foremost. A couple holes in his head isn't the end. I would stop feeding him live food and find a pellet with garlic in it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

abiancaniello

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
New Jersey
He had these holes when i was given him...my water parameters are good...there were fish in the tank it was empty with quickstart then had fish in it. The holes were there from his old home. Today he ate 3 live goldfish fine he didnt spit em up. Sooo dunno if he getting better or what but he seems to be eating better i tried dry krill and multiple pellets he spits em out

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
Why would you keep feeding him live feed especially gold fish....they fill with diseases and parasites. Just starve him if he doesn't eat.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
+1 eric,also why would he ever take pellets if you keep giving him feeders?my big male and female just went a week and half without eating due to spawning. They are fine they started eating again when they were ready, a few days of no foodis not going to kill him.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
I just moved my Fh to a 60 gallons and he's doing the same thing, just spitting out pellets so I starve him for 4 days. He went right back to being a little pig and gobble up everything. You don't want to pump more parasites into him when he already got hole on his head.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store