75 gallon wet pet

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
As the title hints, I am looking for a wet pet to stock in a 75 alone. Something around the 12-14" area. I've tried a couple threads like this before and I guess the common ideas for wet pets aren't overly appealing. Oscars, Midas, carpintis, jags, and others are just a few examples of fish I've been recommended. I'm not a big fan of nuchal humps or fish that look obese when adults, though of course the pictures I've seen could simply be over fed fish. Long story short, I can be picky....unfortunately.

A few ideas I've had in the past and would still consider include bocourti, female festae, and pearsei. Some genus I have interest in are Hericthys, ex-Cichlasoma, Vieja, Thoricthys, Cryptoheros, Andinoacara, Aequidens, Heros, Satanoperca, and Guinacara.

I got a m/f pair of Andinoacara rivulatus 'white saums' a couple weeks ago and love having them. The male is 6" and the female is about 5". I also currently have a 4" notatus severum, a 5" Aequidens 'Jenaro Herrera', a 3.5" Aequidens 'Jenaro Herrera', and 4 Guinacara stergiosi ranging from 2.5" to 4".

I think one of the problems with my indecisive choices and rapid rotation of stock over the last few years has been largely due to the small sizes I've always gotten my fish at. Until I got my rivulatus, I had never obtained a fish larger than 3" or had one grow to more than 6", but most only grew an inch or two before I got bored and found other homes for them. And because fry tend to lack their adult colors and be shyer than adults, it only added to my desire for something else. I'm looking to break this cycle and I think buying large juveniles or young adult adult cichlids is the key.

Anyways, I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys and gals have for me. I appreciate all the I input I can get. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Tilapia buttikoferi like in my avatar dont get much if any nunchal hump and usually dont get too "chunky"

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Syn, Cuban, carpintis? GL

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I think I will pass on a Cuban. I'm juggling the idea of a carpintis until I know for sure what if adults have a natural chunky look or if they are just fat fish because of overfeeding. A synspilum might be nice. They have beautiful color and I've read they seem to be pretty personable. The killer for me would be if it ends up with a nuchal hump.

Tilapia buttikoferi like in my avatar dont get much if any nunchal hump and usually dont get too "chunky"
Don't buttikoferi get to be 18"? I think such a beast would be a little too cramped in a 75 for life.

What about a Cuban, Beani, or Deppi?
Not nuts about the Cuban and the deppi pictures on Google seem to look very much like carpintis or cyanoguttatus. I love the look of all three species when they are younger, but adults (especially males) seem to get obese looking around the head when they are full grown. Any idea if this trait is genetic or due to people overfeeding?

I really like the look of beani. I have only done a few minutes of reading on them, but it seems they are a very sensitive fish. Bloat issues apparently run rampant under 3-4" due to stress from water quality, diet, aggression from tankmates, and a wide variety of other issues. I wouldn't mind a challenge, but if I could manage to get my hands on a 4-5" specimen, I think I would stand a good chance of raising one out. Are they personable at all?

Blackbelt View attachment 1034774

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Not sure if its Google giving me a confused answer or not, but I pulled up a wide variety of color patterns from ones with a lot of blue and red to ones almost entirely black and white. I am intrigued by this species and am interested, but I would want one that is mostly blue and red rather than black and white. Is there a color morph within the species, is it line breeding, is it breeding dress, or is it just random?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Aren't there a few FW puffers in that size range? Puffers are really smart and attentive. But if you're dead set on cichlids, grab some fish books and browse species profiles online. There are WAY too many choices! I've always wanted to do a chocolate cichlid.

But fish are only obese because fishkeepers overfeed. I had a slim, beautiful oscar once.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Check out a grammodes. Good colors, does`nt get too large for you tank, the hump thing can be kept to a minimum by not over feeding and they have a great attitude. Istlanum is a great fish too but then you are getting into more of a bloat sensitive fish. I think grammodes is a good choice.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Grammodes, bumblebee oscar (orbicularis), pair of sajica, cryptoheros Panamansis,

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
There may be slight color morphs but all mine have been random lfs individuals. The reds come with age as do the blues. The blue is usually only seen when light hits true fish just right, this for the most part is a black,silver and red fish. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409662168.543792.jpgmine will have somewhat of a more grayish blue color depending on mood other times it's almost whiteImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409662241.921667.jpg
A healthy adult with almost always have the red though.

If you dislike waiting for the colors to come in then this species may not be for you because they will and do change colors throughout their life from drab small ones to stunning adults.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store