Light suggestion for a 93 cube low tech

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Hey all, looking to set up my 93 gal rimless cube, the current plan is for a center stump like piece of driftwood with some low light plants around it. I do not plan to do CO2, I would really like the substrate to be sand, I may add the fert tabs if needed. So over all pretty low tech.

The tank is 30x30x24" tall. As mentioned, it is rimless, so there will not be a canopy or top. I would really like a pendant, something simple and clean looking. I've been eyeing a 70 watt MH, however I'm not sure that this will be enough light, even for something like I'm doing. I know the edges and corners of the tanks will have shadows, this I am 100% ok with, I really just want the center to be lit well.

Any thoughts on this? I'd love some tips before I plop down some cash on a pricey light. Thanks!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Hmmm, I saw a guy with a 48"x48"x24" cube, and he was running a 48" Evo 6500k LED fixture which runs 4320 Lumens with great success but of course you'd want the 30" which runs 3400 Lumens.

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Marine-Reef-p/56545p.htm

Here's his tank...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Or you can go with a Finnex Ray II DS - http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-ray-ii-ultra-slim-led-ds-dual-7000k.html

Or the Finnex Planted+ - http://www.aquavibrant.com/lighting/led-fixtures/finnex-fugeray-planted-led-fixture.html

Finnex LED's are great fixtures, I had some on my old Aqueon 4 -
DSCN3140.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

DSCN3140.JPG

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Kessil a150w amazon sun sounds like what you are looking for. I have one over my 57 rimless with the gooseneck it will cover an area about 3' diameter. Being a pendant it would be perfect for your cube and they recently updated it with a wide angle version. I have a bunch of pics of my tank if you check planted area to get an idea of how it looks.

Edit: decided to stop being lazy and add a pic or 2. Lights are in different positions just messing around to get different effects but that tank is 36x18x21

20140704_205521.jpg20140601_194637.jpg

20140704_205521.jpg

20140601_194637.jpg

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Hello xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx, thank you for the light options. Those do look pretty nice, I just have two issues with those. I would really like a pendant, I'm trying to avoid having a lid or lights resting on the tank for a cleaner look. Also, using a strip like those would give me shadows on the front and the back but not the sides. I'm hoping to have just a center spotlight above the center with shadows all the way around it.

Hey brich999, thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at those a bit, tho I'm hesitant to go for it. They seem like a decent light, however I do have some reservations about it. Reviews have made it sound pretty noisy, also even tho I am going for low light plants I'm not sure that it will be enough light. From what I read the strength dropped off by large amounts after 10". Having 24" to the bottom and at least 5 or 6" above the water I have to think there wont be enough light. Maybe I'm wrong? The price is also slowing me down. I know operating costs will be lower than a metal halide, however purchase price is $75 more than the MH I'm looking at, it would take many months to make up that difference in costs.

Maybe I'm just being too picky with what I want? In any case, thank you both for your thoughts. Both your tanks are beautiful!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
In case anyone is curious it looks like I'll be going with the Reef Breeders Value LED fixture. I'm told that they are able to swap out some of the bluer LED's for the reds that plants need. For $180 it isnt badly priced and will use a whole lot less energy than a MH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store