Pangasius larnaudii

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Are these just as common as ID sharks or are they more rare? Local fish store has a whole bunch of these in a tank for sale. They have the dark spot just above the pectoral fin so I am assuming they are Pangasius larnaudii .

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've never seen one live. Rarely do I see threads and shots of these. Hence, very rare in my subjective judgment.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
They might have had the odd shipment find it's way stateside. This is the second time in less than a month someone has mentioned it.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
They were going for only $9.99 and about 4" in size. They seemed about as smart as an ID shark and we all know how smart they are. LOL. I had a 15" ID shark and it always startled easy and would crash into the tank every time I cleaned the tank or made sudden movements in front of it. I have no room for catfish that grow into monsters but I was curious if they were rare or not as I have never seen them before.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
The Larnaudii were a tad bit more here, but still pretty cheap considering how much I've seen paroons go for in the marketplace. Which coincidentally happened to also (paroons) pop up across town in another LFS for fairly cheap. I kept one of the Larnaudii just out of curiosity...but they look like they get to be pretty nice looking as they mature...They have really great long tail fins and are stockier than id's or paroons, IMO. But again, they are still small, so I guess I will see. But from what i gather, they are pretty rare here in the US and not seen very often...until now, lol. Hopefully we'll be seeing more oddballs poping up at the LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store