fishroom build and 800 gallon tropical pond

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Looking good matt :thumbup: you could use a wet paint brush to smooth out the patched concrete , flick water off the brush onto the patches so you don't get them dripping wet and smooth them over using the brush once you've shook the excess water off , hope that makes sense ( its a plasterers trick ) that'll get it smooth so you can't see any patches once coated up with liquid rubber.
Out of interest what LR are you using ? Did you buy it online or local ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Fleetwood :cool: another northern mfk , that's about six or seven northerners I've spoke to on here now if we're not careful we'll have a north west monster fish convention on our hands lol ;):D

jamesdecruz

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
uk
Fleetwood :cool: another northern mfk , that's about six or seven northerners I've spoke to on here now if we're not careful we'll have a north west monster fish convention on our hands lol ;):D

yey
Because i'm sick of comming across interesting projects just to find that 95% of the stuff comes from one shop bloody Wallmart, at least if you follow uk threads most of the materials will be easily sourced

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Lol I hear you on that one , there was a UK members thread I'll try bump it

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england
Hi, i used stainless steel brick ties linked together in layers to reinforce the concrete i thought that should be enough as all the walls have support against the brick walls and the front is supported by 3x2's and 18mm chipboard which i treated. I planned this for months before moving i measured the garage when viewing the house then designed the pond on 3d studio max on the laptop, i did 24 designs of paludariums, plywood tanks and ponds and worked out what fit and prices and this was actually my second choice but i think its worked out better because my other idea didnt have an overflow. I got the liquid rubber from 5playleisure.co.uk and is the cheapest per litre anywhere i checked everywhere, cheaper than fibreglass and epoxy for coverage plus liquid rubber is the best choice for concrete because over time the cement may get tiny cracks but the rubber will stretch but epoxy is brittle and will crack.il start putting the prices and store of the stuff i get, the cement was from b&q at £4.15 for 25kg on multibuy but usually its £5.90 and the cheapest near where i live. The ballast was £1.23 for 25kg but i would advise a tonne bag for £40 i spent a bit more than that on single bags.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Nice one matt looks like you've done most of our research for us (its been a long time since I copied homework ;)lol ) makes sense to go down the liquid rubber route as its so flexible , you'll probably find builders merchants that do sand and cement etc cheaper than bnq have you got a Selco trade place in Wigan ? (If so I've got a cash account with them you could use if you still needed stuff )
Love the fact that you measured up the garage when viewing the house :D I think I'll have to do the same I'm not buying if I can't have my fish pond/room (man cave) and the planning you've done before getting carried away building it looks like its really paying off nice work :thumbup:

jamesdecruz

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
uk
I got some Rubberised Pond Paint a few years ago £29.95 for 5 litres from J Bird. i just looked at the website and it's the same place that you got yours but it seems to have gone up in price quite a bit wow £20 in 2 years now that's inflation

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I got some Rubberised Pond Paint a few years ago £29.95 for 5 litres from J Bird. i just looked at the website and it's the same place that you got yours but it seems to have gone up in price quite a bit wow £20 in 2 years now that's inflation
Pretty much all types of paint has gone up loads in price over the last five years James its crazy inflation , I've noticed it loads as I've got a decorating firm :banghead::( its also got a lot thinner due to changing formulas for environmental reasons so doesn't go as far it it used to either

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store