Juvie pike ID - marmorata?

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
It got a little less aggressive with the kelb. Funny how it only goes after the kelb and the silver dollars. Could it be that he recognize them from his native home in SA. It doesn't seem to bother the dats, clown loaches and pleco. It will just take a bite at the SD and bass here and there, but no major bruising. I can feel the tension between the kelb and marm every time they get close, but one of them would just turn its eyes away and go in a different direction. It's been taking chopped market shrimp and bloodworms at first, but I cut on these. No feeder and hasn't touched the Hikari carnivore pellets I've been feeding the dats.

It eats a lot and as much as the p. bass. I was surprised that it could eat that much with the slender body it has It would always chase the SD when they have food up on their mouths. Looking good for now, hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Forgot to say it is really active and swimming pretty much at all levels in the tank. It has it's own corner that it often defends from the SDs, even though they mind their own business. I recently took the deco off my tank, the dats were hiding way too much.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Not a marmorata. Sorry.
Your reasoning behind this??? Everything I see screams toward marmorata... Are you familiar with small marmorata juveniles? Often the untrained eye will think this is a juvenile species Venezuela.... The differences are subtle especially in small specimens like lulus which lack the spangled humeral blotch... Trust me it's a marm....

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I've kept Marms before. I will eat crow if I'm wrong but I doubt this is a marmorata.
Reason being is that there is a lack of juvenile marmorata in the past. Adults are very very easy to identify there's no mistaking them. Snookn21 and aquascape have babies in stock now but there aren't any good pictures unless you really scour the web and pay attention closely to detail... Most people don't know much about pikes... Trust me it's a marm.

Lulu I'd like to see updated pictures any chance of that???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store