500 Gallon Pump/Sump Design?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I placed my order with Midwest Custom today. A 96x44x30. 2 inch drains, 1.5 inch returns, Herbie style overflows, Laguna 2400s, paint the back of the tank black. I can't wait. So, Chris is telling me that I have 18 inch gap in the stand to slide a sump in and out, stand will be 30 inches tall. But, I need a 125 gallon sump. So a short enough sump to fit under the stand and leave me room to work, is not coming out from under the stand unless I drain the tank, take it off the stand, and pick the stand up over the sump. A sump 18 inches tall, 6 foot long, and 125 gallons has to be wider than 18 inches. That being the case, I don't want to play around with a used glass tank for a sump, that might leak, or break, or whatever. So, I'm gonna pop for the custom built acrylic sump. I want filter socks and pond matrix/pond boxes--not pads and bio-balls. So other than sock hangers, what would be nice to have in a new custom sump?

A hole in the side for a drain for auto water change would need to be 6 inches from the bottom? Sock hangers? Anything else? How many filter socks do I need for 4,000 GPH of flow? 2? 4? Chris is saying ship him the filter socks I'm going to use, he'll make sure the sock holders in the sump fit right. So what socks do I order? That will not be "discontinued"? A common size/shape/ring type so I know I can always get filter socks that'll fit the holders in my sump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store