Photo-Edit 1.0 .....

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Great pictures!!
I've been looking into a dslr so excuse me if I ask the wrong questions. I already saw that you're using a t1i. I've been looking at different nikons.
What iso do you normally use?
What shutter speed do you normally use?
I'm gonna assume you're using an external flash too, right?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks man!
I'm really a novice and only use the the T1i, no special lens and no external flash. All my pics are taken in manual focus and with the flash turned off.
Since I don't use a external flash I use high ISO settings, usually 1600 or 3200.
As for shutter speed it depends on which tank I'm shooting and the fish. Some of my tanks have dual light setups and others have single bulb setups. Since there's more light on the dual light tanks I use a lower ISO and on the lower light tank a higher ISO.
The same goes for the shutter speeds, on the lower light set up I use a slower shutter speed and on the brighter light tank I use a faster shutter speed. Usually on the lower light tank my shutter speed ranges from 1/20, 1/50 and on the brighter light tank a shutter speed of 1/80, 1/125. The numbers also change based on how cooperative the fish is. Some come up close and stay toward the upper levels(expecting food) when I'm shooting and make taking pics easier. While I have others who stay low in the tank and are very darty. Of course the more calm the fish the lower a shutter speed I can use while the more active the fish the higher shutter speed I have to use.
Again I'm just a novice and my settings aren't perfect but without an external flash they might be a good place to start your own experimenting. I hope my amswers help.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Whoa kolt!
that's some awesome thread and great pics
And those are some super nice cats

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Wow for calling yourself a "novice" you're pictures are pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Again man, thanks so much for the flattering comment. As I said if you need any more advice with the pic taking you could ask me here or of course through pm. Hope to see a photo thread by you in the near future.

Whoa kolt!
that's some awesome thread and great pics
And those are some super nice cats
Hey Jib! Good to see ya, and thanks for the generous compliment it's much appreciated!

Nice pics, nice fish. I wish I could take pics this sick.
Thanks man! I'm sure someday you'll take even better pics of your stock, stock by the way that I myself am jealous of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store