Finally got a compatible male...any festae breeding tips?

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
I have a 7 inch female festae who has either been too aggressive for same sized males, or abused by larger ones. I picked up this 8-9 inch male 2 weeks ago and they have been doing very well. Right now they are alone in a 55 gallon and they are starting to show colors, and seem to be getting along well. I have a large clay pot split in two to create a cave environment. Any suggestions beyond that?

photo (5).JPG

photo (8).JPG

photo (7).JPG

photo (6).JPG

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
The usual i would say for most ca/sa a few smaller cold water changes, good meaty foods and your good.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
How do festae compare to other cichlids on the ease of breeding scale?

bomillyiam

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
Dat Boot!
Difficult with a few rare exceptions of complete harmony. Males kill females on a regular basis. However, Roadrunner has a moose of a female who tries to destroy males no matter their size, but only after she spawns with them. Tries to ram them outta da water like a friggin She-Orca.
Dat BIAAAATCH is a Red(Blk)Widow:devil:

Exercise diligent caution and give em lots of room plus an escape refuge for her. Males flip out with regularity.

FlatFishLeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
USA
How do festae compare to other cichlids on the ease of breeding scale?
In my experience they are just as easy as Convicts/Jack Dempseys/Red Devils/Flowerhorn. I'm not a seasoned Festae breeder, just a NooB. I've only been breeding Festae for a few months, but I don't really see a significance difference. I just watch coloration change and "bamn" eggs and then fry. I have pairs who've chosen they own mates and large breeders which I force them to spawn because there's no choices. Using a divider method works for over aggressive pairs (common sense: be home when you open up the divider.), once you see tubes you're good to go! Seeing the signs is really the key thing. Good Luck Bro!

PM me if you have any questions you'd like to address personally?

In the video you see multiply pairs with fry, excuse my messy garage, moving stuff to get my 900gal tank that's coming soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7Mt1OihG8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bomillyiam

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
Dat Boot!
In my experience they are just as easy as Convicts/Jack Dempseys/Red Devils/Flowerhorn. I'm not a seasoned Festae breeder, just a NooB. I've only been breeding Festae for a few months, but I don't really see a significance difference. I just watch coloration change and "bamn" eggs and then fry. I have pairs who've chosen they own mates and large breeders which I force them to spawn because there's no choices. Using a divider method works for over aggressive pairs (common sense: be home when you open up the divider.), once you see tubes you're good to go! Seeing the signs is really the key thing. Good Luck Bro!

PM me if you have any questions you'd like to address personally?

In the video you see multiply pairs with fry, excuse my messy garage, moving stuff to get my 900gal tank that's coming soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7Mt1OihG8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Like I said, give em lots of room which the Flatster obviously has plenty of and the O/P does not.
And come on FlatMOn. Festae are not as easy to breed as convicts. If they were, breeding tips would be unnecessary. Rabbits can't even compete with Cons.

O/P you need a bigger tank like 6' or larger. A 55g offers no escape for their aggressive nature. It's the number 1 reason you've been having pairing problems. Your tank is way to small for Festae that large. Anyone with long term experience with these fish will tell you that.
Yours appear to like each other. But a day will come when he wants to knock boots. And if she ain't ready watch out. Males also are known to flip out if something doesn't go right with spawns.
Give them a bigger home ASAP to begin with.

roadrunner

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
New Orleans LA
Difficult with a few rare exceptions of complete harmony. Males kill females on a regular basis. However, Roadrunner has a moose of a female who tries to destroy males no matter their size, but only after she spawns with them. Tries to ram them outta da water like a friggin She-Orca.
Dat BIAAAATCH is a Red(Blk)Widow:devil:

Exercise diligent caution and give em lots of room plus an escape refuge for her. Males flip out with regularity.
Lol! She is a killer!:angryfire So far she has killed Two 16" males and a 12" male!:wall: She has been Manless for 7 months!:mad: I will put her with another victim soon!

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Like I said, give em lots of room which the Flatster obviously has plenty of and the O/P does not.
And come on FlatMOn. Festae are not as easy to breed as convicts. If they were, breeding tips would be unnecessary. Rabbits can't even compete with Cons.

O/P you need a bigger tank like 6' or larger. A 55g offers no escape for their aggressive nature. It's the number 1 reason you've been having pairing problems. Your tank is way to small for Festae that large. Anyone with long term experience with these fish will tell you that.
Yours appear to like each other. But a day will come when he wants to knock boots. And if she ain't ready watch out. Males also are known to flip out if something doesn't go right with spawns.
Give them a bigger home ASAP to begin with.
I just moved them there. The pairing problems were in a 120. I have 9 tanks. If they are compatable, a 55 at their size is fine. If not, I will move them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store