silver or black arowana in polypterus tank

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. Im a poly fanatic who is looking to pick up an arowana. I decided the tank could use a "swimmer." Anyway, how long can I house a black or silver juvenile purchased at 6" in a 180 before I need to upgrade? I have plans to purchase an enormous tank in 2 years when I graduate and get a new job. I have heard they grow at rates of up to 2" per month. Is 2 years realistic, or should I hold off for another 10 months or so?

Also, has anyone ever kept large polys with large arowana? I have heard they work well together.

Thanks,
III

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have a Leitcherdti about 26" with polys as long as him. The aro will mouth them and just move them once in awhile. No problems or damage at all.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Did its presence affect the polys in any way? Did they hide more often, I mean to ask. My 2 ornates and faranah lap are just now becoming friendly with me. I would hate to drive them right back into hiding.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Did its presence affect the polys in any way? Did they hide more often, I mean to ask. My 2 ornates and faranah lap are just now becoming friendly with me. I would hate to drive them right back into hiding.

Also, what size tank do you have?

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
My baby black that I bought on 4/20 at 3 inches is now 12 inches. I wish I would have waited a bit, I too will graduate in a year and a half. Id just wait for spring and get a baby if I were you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store