Finally going salt and I need Help

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
They are important, but not a must. I have run several FOWLR tanks that had no powerheads at all with no issues, through regular maintenance the tanks stayed clean. The main point I was making is running them during the cycle makes no difference at all unless you want to see where you have high and low flow.
Valid points.

What I'm trying to get at is that the powerheads make that maintenance a little easier especially in larger aquariums; it's not quite as bad in a smaller one.

Purevil21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
Lakeland, FL
Very true :), I was amazed at the difference it made when I through an MP10 in my old 65 FOWLR. It had run for years without one, but within weeks it really cleaned up and I had to do PWCs less frequently.

Valid points.

What I'm trying to get at is that the powerheads make that maintenance a little easier especially in larger aquariums; it's not quite as bad in a smaller one.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
So if I'm not mistaken, use my HOB's just for rubble rock? No foam no carbon or nothing else, just the filter and the rubble rocks within? So I have them my protein skimmer and the rock within my tank should be enough for filtration, do I have this right.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
So if I'm not mistaken, use my HOB's just for rubble rock? No foam no carbon or nothing else, just the filter and the rubble rocks within? So I have them my protein skimmer and the rock within my tank should be enough for filtration, do I have this right.
I would use one of them with foam; you're bound to have a decent number of food particles floating around during and after feeding time. You could also put a bag of SeaChem Purigen in that one in order to help with nitrates and phosphates. The other two filters can be used with rock rubble & chaeto algae in order to make a mini refugium; get a clip light for each one to get the chaeto growing good.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Ok I will do, should I put the clip light on the one with the rubble rocks or the one with the purigen and filter pad , this info is very good and today I ordered 80 lbs of sand and 100 pounds of dry rock. I will get the reef octopus skimmer tomorrow on the net. So I finally have the ball rolling. YES

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ok I will do, should I put the clip light on the one with the rubble rocks or the one with the purigen and filter pad , this info is very good and today I ordered 80 lbs of sand and 100 pounds of dry rock. I will get the reef octopus skimmer tomorrow on the net. So I finally have the ball rolling. YES

The light goes on the one with the rubble, but it's only need if you plan on putting chaeto or another type of macro algae in there.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I will read up on the algae. Because I never heard of that type. Sounds good so far

The chaeto algae is also known as spaghetti algae; it's pretty much bullet-proof if it has light and will grow very fast if given plenty of light.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
The chaeto algae is also known as spaghetti algae; it's pretty much bullet-proof if it has light and will grow very fast if given plenty of light.
How do I produce this algae, do I have to add something to start it's growth, also is the aqua clear 110 HOB big enough to be a refugium or should I by a hang on refugium. Also isnthis reef octopus a hang on? I saw some refugiums slash skimmers for sale are these good and big enough for my tank? What size reef octopus should I get?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
How do I produce this algae, do I have to add something to start it's growth, also is the aqua clear 110 HOB big enough to be a refugium or should I by a hang on refugium. Also isnthis reef octopus a hang on? I saw some refugiums slash skimmers for sale are these good and big enough for my tank? What size reef octopus should I get?
You would have to purchase this algae; many LFS's have it for cheap (<$5) as it grows very fast. The AC110 is big enough, but you could buy a hang-on refugium if you want to go bigger; it's worth noting that the hang-on ones can get expensive, so it might just be easier to use what you have.

I haven't come across the skimmer/refugium combo before, so I'm curious as to who makes them. I'm not sure as to which Reef Octopus you should get as I'm not familiar with that brand, but I can say that you'll want one that's rated for more than your aquarium's volume, if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store