Large mouth bass

Justin2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Hammond,la
What is a sunfish?

I have found that there is often a bit of confusion as to what a sunfish is exactly. Some people regard them as “pan fish” and thus think they are related to other pan fish such as perch and white bass. Panfish is a term used by fishermen to describe fish that fit in pans and is not a scientific means of classification. Then there are some sunfish that people don’t know are sunfish such as the black bass genus that includes largemouth, smallmouth, spotted and all the other black basses. The most well known sunfish are the members of the lepomis genus. The common and popular pumpkinseed and bluegill are both sunfish that belong to the lepomis genus. Despite being very similar to cichlids they are not related beyond being in the same order. All sunfish are native to North America (though are introduced elsewhere) and are all freshwater. Most build nests and males guard the young.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
What is a sunfish?

I have found that there is often a bit of confusion as to what a sunfish is exactly. Some people regard them as “pan fish” and thus think they are related to other pan fish such as perch and white bass. Panfish is a term used by fishermen to describe fish that fit in pans and is not a scientific means of classification. Then there are some sunfish that people don’t know are sunfish such as the black bass genus that includes largemouth, smallmouth, spotted and all the other black basses. The most well known sunfish are the members of the lepomis genus. The common and popular pumpkinseed and bluegill are both sunfish that belong to the lepomis genus. Despite being very similar to cichlids they are not related beyond being in the same order. All sunfish are native to North America (though are introduced elsewhere) and are all freshwater. Most build nests and males guard the young.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
uh so are they cichlids?
we totally highjacked this thread btw
sorry.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
we shall call them american cichlids :) lol
they act very much like cichlids and should for sure hold its own in time

zoomed.com