Brace yourself, winter is coming

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Lucky. It's been in the 100's here in Cali. But anyways, would a couple large pieces of acrylic work for a top? Or maybe a pool cover? I know those heat up my pool a buttload during the summer and warmer during the winter. Then again water doesn't freeze where I am

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
you should look at getting a small tank less water heater. And some type of cover to keep the heat in. another thing you can do is insulate the out side wall of the pond.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Hate to say it, but there's a reason you don't see people keeping tropical ponds outdoors here in the States.

Heating large amounts of water is prohibitively expensive.

Making lids for the pond AND building a little greenhouse around it would be your best bet.

Electric heaters would be the cheapest up front (you can buy a bunch of 300W Eheim Jagers for $25 each), but they will cost you a grip to run. A gas fired heat exchange system or a heat pump will cost a lot up front, but will be less expensive to operate over the long term.

If I were you, I would try keeping fish that can tolerate the natural temp swings in your area, unless you are comfortable spending thousands of dollars to maintain the tropical temps required for the species you are keeping.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
Hate to say it, but there's a reason you don't see people keeping tropical ponds outdoors here in the States.

Heating large amounts of water is prohibitively expensive.

Making lids for the pond AND building a little greenhouse around it would be your best bet.

Electric heaters would be the cheapest up front (you can buy a bunch of 300W Eheim Jagers for $25 each), but they will cost you a grip to run. A gas fired heat exchange system or a heat pump will cost a lot up front, but will be less expensive to operate over the long term.

If I were you, I would try keeping fish that can tolerate the natural temp swings in your area, unless you are comfortable spending thousands of dollars to maintain the tropical temps required for the species you are keeping.
It's not that I can't move them back in the old tank, I can, but I'd rather leave them in there for now until I can build one in the garage. I get what you're saying tough it will cost an arm and a leg no matter what I do unfortunately but I saw the thread from the guy in Austin that used his 20.000+G pool and most of his survived. And that was back when we had a horrible winter.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
you should look at getting a small tank less water heater. And some type of cover to keep the heat in. another thing you can do is insulate the out side wall of the pond.
I was just looking at some but do you know if there's a certain flow rate I need to be aiming for?
I found a 9kW heater with a 2 gallons per hour and I don't think that's enough but I could be wrong.

jandj88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
North Dakota
Well up north dont keep tropicals. You could get an inline heater for a tractor. They will warm really quick so would put on a timer and see if it will work. $30 or so for the heater. 2" styrofoam walls and make a lid. I never read how hot they get but witha slow flow of water might keep it in upper 70s. Just a farm boys idea.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
Well up north dont keep tropicals. You could get an inline heater for a tractor. They will warm really quick so would put on a timer and see if it will work. $30 or so for the heater. 2" styrofoam walls and make a lid. I never read how hot they get but witha slow flow of water might keep it in upper 70s. Just a farm boys idea.
Nice idea, I'm assuming they have those at tractor supply I'll go check them out thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store