100 gallon acrylic and foamboard?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, my brother in law gave me a 60x18 clarity plus acrylic tank. It seems to be in good shape and I'm going to put it on a shelf in my fishroom. That said I just have glass tanks down there and they sit on the plywood shelves. When I did my acrylic tank upstairs it seemed very important to put a good foamboard under it. Do you think this is necesary in this case? The shelf is level and flat and the tank isn't going to be there long term. I hate to have to buy a whole 4x8 sheet and cut it up. Thanks.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Putting foam under tanks is a good idea (assuming they dont have trim ment to hold the weight like commercial glass) because it can help pick up any slight bumps and reduce the stress on a tank. If you are 1000% sure the area is perfectly level and flat then it is unnecessary but as a precaution I always use it and the peace of mind is worth the couple dollars for a piece of foam insulation. Over years your stand can warp and cause stresses on the tank that go unnoticed until it pops and id say 90% of the busted tanks ive seen just break (excluding ones that got hit or popped just after resealing) were because of the stand and not the tank itsself.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Foam board is for glass tanks without trim...NOT acrylic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store