URGENT! Polys fighting

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
I'm no expert, but one of them, the non yellow poly doesn't quite look an ornate. Shouldnt be the problem though. Can try the driftwood maybe.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Its an ornate. Its yellow, just pale from stress.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
With that big of a tank I would just keep them well fed and moniter them. If they doesn't settle down with in the next coulple days then I would look to separating or moving decorations. Right now I would say they are more than likely in the "get to know you" stage which usually if one takes it to far there could be some fights. I've had this happen numerous times. All of the times turned out to be nothing with some good feeding and monitoring. Another thing I might suggest is not feeding ghost shrimp with such small ornates. I personally wouldn't feed them in the first place because of numerous reasons, but feeding live food also somewhat increases aggression and with ornates aggressions seems to be almost inevitable from what I've heard, yet I have not expirienced any from mine as of yet. Either way just feed them well and monitor them. As far as lighting I would leave lights completely off and maybe leave some food in the tank in different places overnight.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Iv heard the same about ornates ... I heard they were the most aggressive of all bichirs from numerous ppl but i havnt experienced it persanolly either ... Iv never experienced any kind of aggression other than a little bit of nipping from any bichir... I'd just do what others said good over night give it a few days if that doesn't work rearrange the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Should i be worried about a faranah lap Im about to add this week? Hes wc/ 7-8" range.

The aggressor in this situation leaves my 12.5" sen alone. He at least seems intelligent about choosing his battles. Ive heard wc laps can be aggressive as well. This has me questioning my whole plan for addition.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I personally would be cautious in general with introducing a lower jaw with small upper jaws. Out of all the laps and lap variants I have none have shown any noticeable aggression. If I were you I would try and bulk the ornates up as much as possible, otherwise the lap may see them as a possible food target. IME though laps seems to be very laid back and if kept well fed should be fine. I would just be cautious and make sure everyone is kept well fed.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I personally would be cautious in general with introducing a lower jaw with small upper jaws. Out of all the laps and lap variants I have none have shown any noticeable aggression. If I were you I would try and bulk the ornates up as much as possible, otherwise the lap may see them as a possible food target. IME though laps seems to be very laid back and if kept well fed should be fine. I would just be cautious and make sure everyone is kept well fed.
+1 to everything dr. B just said ... Be careful with ljs around smaller bichirs ... But my laps have never been aggressive at all not even in the slightest it's the endlis .... Also if this helps ur decision at all ... I have a 14" lap and I introduced a 5" endli to it who got along fine ... At the time the lap would only eat live fish and nothing else but it didn't bother the 5" endli ... That bein said that is just my experience that does not mean that the lap u get will be the same way

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right on, thanks for all the advice Doc~ the good news is that Im moving my axolotls from their 20g into a 40 breeder tonight, so i can set up a second quarantine tank in case things do get nasty. I will also be adding a 3" wc koliba lap and 3" tr endli to the 10g grow out with the four 3" delhezi. They will claim the 20g as soon as I am positive the faranah isnt a threat to the ornates. Next in line is a 37 until they join the others in the 180. Thats the stock plan at this point! When everything gets bigger im going to upgrade. I have a huge plan for what im doing once i finish my BA in education.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I would be very careful with the endli addition to the grow out a good chunk of the cases of poly's eating other poly's are juvenile endlicheri. I would slow down on all the additions for a couple weeks

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right on. I have three total tanks to work with, and the endli/lap are each opportunities that will pass. I think ill house the endli and lap together in either the 10 or 20, and the delhezi in the other. Im growing the delhezi out and giving them as gifts more than likely. Just planning on keeping 1 or possibly 2. I keep the juvies well fed (overfed, truthfully.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store