Rio Tocantins kels Grow out

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Well I did it again. Did a water change two nights ago and filled the water above the spray bar on my filter return. Week I got home from work last night and two of my little kels and two of my red heads were dead.
Did a water chem check everything was fine. The fish still alive were gasping for for air and all the MTS where it off the substrate heading to the surface.
My guess is a lack of oxygen killed them. Nothing else looked wrong. I put the spray bar back above the water line and now everything seems to be fine. My last kel and Geo even ate this morning. Anyone else had this problem. I'm starting to think I'm cursed.
Already placed an order to replace them. Starting to get very expensive . I ordered two more red heads and one kel and an azul. Last time I swear, haha

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Damn ... You must have a ton of bacteria going for that to happen. Don't forget bacteria use up a lot of oxygen and when it's hot or the temp in the water is high you want more oxygen. If you stuck didn't die from o2 problems then maybe gill flukes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Ive kept fish for 15 years never had a problem not running air stones, but never kept Cichla. Shouldnt have too much bacteria. Unless MTS somehow add bacteria because there is tons of them in my 30g breeder. Have a 2215 eheim running on it only had the 3 cichla 3 geos a SAE and and bristlenose to clean up the algae. Kept water temp at 88 and fish seem completely fine now. Guess expensive lesson learned. :irked: Already ordered the air pump and stones.

Trey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Dover De
Maybe you should true adding a sponge filter from kens. Add oxygen and add filtration

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I know it's kind of an ugly thing to have in your aquarium, but for my tanks without sumps, I use sponge filters along with HOB's. I like the security of having extra bio and airation. Also too, since two years ago, I've gone to basically bare floor tanks, again something not as aesthetically pleasing, but at least I dont have to worry about hidden things in the substrate. Because cichla eat so much and create a lot of waste, I prefer having a less attractive aquarium because the health of my fish is more important.

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah tempting to do bare bottom but hate the look. Can't bring myself to do it. All about the natural look. I consider the loon of my hard scape as important as the look of my fish , just my opinion.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Hey RBoydIV how's your kelberi doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
They are actually doing great. the bigger of the two is starting to gold up and can see red in his pec and tail fins. He is hammering Hakari sinking carnivore pellets. Love em. I hope they help him put on some mass. I was keeping him in a 30 long with a 4" azul and another smaller Kel.

Had to separate the little one because he was being picked on. He is now in a divided 75 with some tetra as dither. Doing much better and all his frayed fins are healthy again. He too is eating the sinking carnivore pellets. Hope this help them grow quicker.

Once I took smaller Kel out the Azul started to pick on the bigger Kel. I actually never saw this happen. I would wake up and my Kel would be beat up once and a while and during feeding the Kel would be very nervous of the Azul. So I moved the azul to the 135. In the 30 long the azul would hide and only come out to eat. now in the 135 he is slowly becoming the boss with a 6" tiger oscar 4" eb acara and 5" 3bar IT. It was crazy he is out and about right away chasing the silver dollars around and not hiding at all. He is awesome in the new tank. His black bars, white spangles and blue fins are really coming out.

The bigger Kel really rebounded when i moved the azul. He is eating 4-5 sinking carny pellets twice a day. I am really hoping he starts too much on enough girth to put up with the azul so i can transfer him and the three red head geos to the 135 to grow big move in a year or so when I put the 240 together.

I orderd some massivore to try it out and see if the hype is real. I went with Carnisticks, sinking carny pellets and massivore. Guess im a Hakari man haha. Anyways I will take some pics when i can. Really busy with work.

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Pic update :

4" Azul
uploadfromtaptalk1400199562476.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400199584680.jpg

3" Rio toc kel

uploadfromtaptalk1400199628226.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400199649910.jpg

Been getting very fat on the massivore and sinking carni pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store