giraffe nose catfish

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
I have a giraffe nose catfish that is about 17" right now and he's become very destructive in my 180 gallon tank. He's very docile but he moves everything in my tank. I was just curious how I would ship him if I sold him. Ive never shipped any fish let alone a fish this big so the thought kind of makes me nervous. Tia!

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Bag buddies, oxygen, lots of thick mil bags, and a big Styrofoam box. Overnight with insurance. Just like shipping a smaller fish,except on a larger scale. Cover all your bases and make sure everything is checked and rechecked ,so there are no surprises. Weight your box,water,bags, and everything beforehand. Then add 2-3 pounds for your fish. Get the outside dimensions of your Styrofoam box in inches as well. Then all you need to do is tell the usps or whoever you use those figures and the type of shipping you want(overnight) and the zip code where it's going to,and your set. Usually if you have the package there by 5,it gets delivered by noon the next day to its destination point.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Use the post I just wrote to get your shipping quote for the buyer or yourself. An address to where it's going will be somewhat helpful too! Lol!!!

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
Thank you! That's a huge help! Like I said before I've never shipped a fish before so I was just curious. I'm hoping to find someone local but most people don't have a tank big enough for him and I'm not letting him go to a home that's not suited for him.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
If you end up not finding a home for it, P.M. me. I know of two places as a last resort and I'm 2.39 hours away from you. J.K. about the hours. Just a guess. Lol!!!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Very good advice but if you have never shipped, I'd not start with a challenge like that. I am not even sure it is doable because I've never encountered anyone shipping a g-cat of such size, successfully or not.

It's a real nice fish and you should be able to sell it with a pick-up-only option.

If determined to ship, I'd enlist a professional that has done it before many times (e.g., a good pond shop owner who shipped large koi - koi'd be comparable in size, body robustness, the ammonia generated en route, etc. to a g-cat).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store