Good fish stories- I got one only an MFK'r would like!`

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I was feeding our fish and got distracted and forgot to slide the tank lid back into position. My Leonardo managed to slam into the lid and slice his lower lip off. The lip was hanging on by a thread of tissue at the corner of his mouth. He had to be removed from the tank to detach his flapping lower lip.

Fortunately, his lip regenerated. Three nights ago at 1am I heard several violent, thunderous, explosive crashing booms followed by extra loud sounds from the mechanical filtration system. I got out of bed to check out the fish tank and found water on the floor, a tank lid ajar, and an uptake pipe and bulkhead broken and on the floor of the tank, and lots of big fish scales floating around. Leonardo had a white line down his whole length where scales were missing, he also had a gash on his head. :( With a pipe broken off, the Hammerhead pump was sucking in air. I closed the valve to the pipe that had broken off and went back to bed. An hour later, the pump was still making funny noises, I got out of bed again and discovered that I had not closed the valve completely. The valve is very stiff and hard to reach. In this picture it is located on the lowest horizontal pipe behind the vertical pipes.

Our fish desperately need their new tank. But even in the big tank, there is nothing to prevent them from slamming into the top of the tank. As monsterous as they are, they still freak out, and only crashing into something stops their paranoid delusions.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Its more of an observation than a story... but when I recently got 2 new baby Pearsei cichlids I was surprised to see them focused on something above the water line and then occasionally jumping out of the water... a couple times to around 6 inches above the water. It turned out that they immediately noticed all the cobweb spiders at the water line and were actively hunting them down. Considering that there were hundreds of fish in the tank for years and none of them ever did this and these two noticed them in the first 30 minutes and was actively patrolling the perimeter for them was kinda cool and surprising.

Besides this I'm always amazed at some of the playful and social behavior of my loaches... Both clown and yoyo loaches play together and they constantly greet each other via a side by side body wagging that they do. A lot of nuzzling too.

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My FH loves eating fruit. One day a few pieces of cantaloupe got stuck in the circulation pump and blew back out across the gravel. He went after them like a bat out of hell and the for the rest of the night, sat beside the pump thinking it was a cantaloupe dispenser.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Great stories All! Still no other spitting fish though? I cant be the only archer owner thats seen this. And yet it will routinely spit at any food that might have not gone through the egg crate, of other insects that might be nearby.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
You're making me really want an archer lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Whenever I walk into my bedroom my lungfish swims up to the top of the tank and wiggles around excitedly wanting a treat. Not nearly as interesting as a fish spitting water but its very cool to watch.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Great stories All! Still no other spitting fish though? I cant be the only archer owner thats seen this. And yet it will routinely spit at any food that might have not gone through the egg crate, of other insects that might be nearby.
I once had a dwarf gourami that would spit water lol like a archer when I would open lid to feed.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store