What would you do if rays became illegal where you live

What would you do if Stingrays became banned where you live

• Total voters

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Always been told that my fish eat better than me lol! Cost I'm really wondering though, is if Ray permits could be viable for a wider mass, how much would it have to cost to pay for monitoring and man power? I'd probably pay upwards of a 1000 a year for a permit for rays in Cali haha

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Does anyone know how f&w equivalent in Canada is about killing fish? I think our CO's are a bit easier on you I think, then again there isn't much banned but i thought it was just a big fine and they make you re home it, and another fine if you don't do it in the time period. I heard $3000.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
TK,

I am in no way advocating giving false info... I just think we need to be more open to potential ray keepers.. My first rays were in a 210, now if i listened and didnt do it I would not have my big tank or a passion for keeping them.
Yea exactly, i kept my first reticulated in my 75 (now my growout) knowing full well that when it starts to get too big (didn't expect that to take long) I would either sell or upgrade. Loved it, upgraded to a 180. Then I realized how much I loved rays after getting my second reticulated, so I upgraded to a 400 before getting my leo. Point is, maybe we need to say "your ray won't be able to live there for life, you will either need to rehome or upgrade in X months." or "check if stingrays are illegal in your state".

What if a black diamond hybrid breeder launches AAA rays out of a state where they are illegal, and he sells them cheap. Guy obviously knows what he is doing, would you really want to be the one to tell him "you can't own that" or would you say "watch what you post here" ?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yea exactly, i kept my first reticulated in my 75 (now my growout) knowing full well that when it starts to get too big (didn't expect that to take long) I would either sell or upgrade. Loved it, upgraded to a 180. Then I realized how much I loved rays after getting my second reticulated, so I upgraded to a 400 before getting my leo. Point is, maybe we need to say "your ray won't be able to live there for life, you will either need to rehome or upgrade in X months." or "check if stingrays are illegal in your state".

What if a black diamond hybrid breeder launches AAA rays out of a state where they are illegal, and he sells them cheap. Guy obviously knows what he is doing, would you really want to be the one to tell him "you can't own that" or would you say "watch what you post here" ?

That would be best advice. Isn't we supposed to watch their back out and don't want to see them ended up in the jail or lost their stock? The last thing he need is post them publicly on a forum where F&W officials often checking on.

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Being new to fish keeping I don't know anything comparatively you long time guys and I honestly never thought about banned fish but I am watching first hand how my state of Ohio is handling our new in 14 big cat and dangerous animal ban. This is new to our state. Apparently Ohio had some of the most relaxed laws and regulations when it came to these animals being kept as pets or backyard Zoos. Watching all these new regulations take place is really heart breaking basically if you had previously owned any of the newly banned animals there is a small grandfather clause to let them keep their animals but the new requirements that are placed on these animals are unobtainable! These owners are being asked to either euthanized their animals, re home them in a state that would allow them or apply for a permit and follow all new guidelines which include spending upwards of $100,000 in new cages and fencing depending on how many animals are kept of course and all animals must carry a minimum of $1 million insurance for each animal. No one is allowed any of the animals in our ban as of the new year now. Only the people who had them before the ban are allowed to apply for the permit. This of course is all a stem from the Zanesville story regarding the owner who committed suicide after he let all of his lions, tigers, black bear Out into the woods and the police shot them all. That is only 2.5 hours from where I live. There are several small Zoos publicly fighting the ban and these regs. I don't understand how they can make such outlandish laws and such knowing these people can not keep up with these demands. It all boils down to money. If you don't have enough money they don't care about you or the animals you love.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I remember that story and that's how it goes....someone does something stupid,politicians grandstand and then knees jerk.Next thing you know you can't have anything.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know how f&w equivalent in Canada is about killing fish? I think our CO's are a bit easier on you I think, then again there isn't much banned but i thought it was just a big fine and they make you re home it, and another fine if you don't do it in the time period. I heard $3000.

i'm not sure of the exact way they would handle it here, all i know is for us in ontario, snakeheads are a kill on sight and fine for keeping in captivity. because of their kill on sight status, they would be put down. otherwise, not sure if it's more of a city by-law type deal.

like in brantford, we can't own ferrets, bats, or tarantulas. but in hamilton, you can own ferrets and tarantulas (not sure on bats). whereas all of ontario bans snakeheads.

i too started small, 2 retics under 3" disks in a 90g growout before upgrading to a 6'x4'x22" 300g tank with a 90g sump. i knew i would need to upgrade in between 1-2 years and i did.
the sad fact is, most don't end up upgrading due to monetary or interest issues and the rays (or other fish) end up stuck in that undersized tank for the rest of their shortened life.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
That would be best advice. Isn't we supposed to watch their back out and don't want to see them ended up in the jail or lost their stock? The last thing he need is post them publicly on a forum where F&W officials often checking on.
Yes we should look out for each other but we should not assume everyone knows this stuff

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
This thread has turned into a false / bad information highway of 'facts'.

It just blows my mind that donating to zoos or rehoming or even selling isn't an option..... Screw what's best for the animals, apparently euthanasia is the only option.....
Reminiscent of the Nazi regime if you ask me. Maybe PITA and Fish and Wildlife need to get together and check their beliefs/values.
Makes me sick to even think this is really what happens, but it's the truth.
Rehoming is always the first option explored. Putting them down is NEVER a first option. Calling the guys Nazis is hardly even close to appropriate here.

You'd "THINK" fish and wildlife would be "animal" people, and they must be, cause it takes a special kind of animal to kick your door in, drag ice chests in and put all your rays on ice right in front of you.
People on this site don't take this situation seriously. You get caught they aren't going to do the humane thing for your rays and rehome them, they are going to kill your fish right in front of you.
And these pieces of crap frequent these forums......
Faced with this situation I'm going to jail..... After they taze me and drag me out of the house. I couldn't and wouldn't watch it. My choice is the last one. OPENLY FIGHT period. :irked:
They are 'animal people'. I'm not sure what situation you are talking about with kicking in doors and icing down animals right in front of you. I would love to hear more so I can explain what REALLY happened from the F/W stand point. It sounds like someone was warned and warned. It also sounds like someone was in violoation of the law (AKA a CRIMINAL). Who is to blame for those animals get put down, THE OWNER. They would not have been put down if he/she had been following the law. Like I said, putting animals done is never the go to option. Something else must have been going on in this situation. I've watched the gov't spend lots of money to keep confiscated animals alive. Many places are certified holding facilities for confiscastions in order to provide animals with the expert level care.
As for "these pieces of crap frequenting these forums" - I'm glad they do. They are enforcing the law. Don't like the laws, don't cry about it. Work with them to change the law.

Let me ask, as an outlander from the opposite side of the big dipper: is it really like you guys say? I mean if one does not flaunt the aro, or the sh or the whetever openly, keeps it in the confines of its tank, is there still a risk of discovery?

I mean, does the US really have the resources to go after rays? Does it soend tax payers money looking for Piranha in Armpit, Montana?

Seriously?
Miguel, what some here are ranting about are rare cases (if even a real cases). I've been involved for over a decade with ID'ing animals and helping out with local and federal enforcement. It's not even close to the picture being painted here. 99.99% of the time owners are talked to and given a warning with options. Extreme repeat offenses or outright willing black market activity gets the hammer.
Animal law enforcement is taken very seriously over here. People that have illegal can be found. The type that is willing to break the law for something illegal is generally the type to also talk about what they have - looking for attention from the activity.

Look at it this way guys. Many owners are VERY narrow mineded. They only care about their collection. Think on a larger scale. Why is the animal illegal? Is it endangered? Why do you think you are special vs an entire species being protected? Or maybe it's a human safety issue because it's a dangerous animal. What makes you think you are above that law? Why should one keeper be better than hundreds of thousands of other people being protected? Is it a threat if it gets out? Why do you think your little hobby is worth more than taking steps to protect our natural environment?

Also realize many places getting in trouble are not in it for the animals. They are in it for the profit. As soon as you start tossing dollar amounts around as losses and not animals lives as losses, you are looking at it the wrong way. That is why the laws are in place.

I can give a huge list of positive examples of the law working WITH owners.
One was even based on MFK several years ago. A guy posted about an illegal fish he had. He didn't want it put down if found and didn't realize he shouldn't have had it. I worked WITH the state agent and created paperwork to remove the animal from the house and give it a long term home. Nobody was fined, no animals died and the animal is still living today with expert care at a facility that will be able to house it for the rest of it's life.
I've taken in animals when owners called wanting to willingly surrender them. They called the local agents, got refered to me and they were rehoused. Agents will thank you for doing what is best for the animal and the law.
I've gotten called by agents preparing for a raid with the list of animals they might end up with to make sure they could end up in proper care prior to them showing up on site.
I've gotten called to a site to ID animals that were too rare or too odd ball to be in the usual books. It helps them make sure they are doing the job correctly and not grabbing animals that are ok to have.

So, PLEASE, think of more than yourself when talking about what is legal vs illegal. If you don't agree with the law, it still might be in place for the greater good. There are hundreds of F/W agents who will talk to you for hours about the how and why of certain laws. You just have to ask them. They are normal people. They love animals. Respect them, and you will be respected. Come off as someone who will give them problems, and expect to be treated as a thread to them. It's really that straight forward.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Did I actually call anyone a Nazi?

"Fact" was the rays were iced. There's no arguing about that. IF you want to argue about the underlying circumstances that's fine, I don't know what they were, am not going to find out, all I cared about was the end result.

IF you think I'm making this up that's fine too.... Why would I?

I'm not "crying" about the law. I am a law abiding citizen, I pay taxes, and I'm pissed about how the situation was handled. I'm allowed that opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store